shifter problem

mr.x

cant get lever into d1 or l, action real stiff could it be cable related? or is mechanism faulty?

You might have dropped a coin onto the gear shift surround panel. Do the plastic pieces that cover the opening for the gear shift lever move smoothly?

thanks j.d.

for the reply, i had this problem last fall cleaned and greased guides. just trying the lazy way to pinpoint problem .so i can order parts if necessary .before i take the console assembly apart

If you get any water in the interior, it will puddle in the shifter and rust things up.
Mine was that way, could not get it out of 1 without smacking the shifter hard, then it would go all the way up into neutral.
Ultimate fix was a B&M Ripper.

Nick

wayne ford.

Thanks Nick M. Went to the Ford dealer to get a diagram of the of shifter assembly and a price for a cable - $80. On the way out I asked the service manager if that could possibly be the problem. He said "We don't work on cars here." And I said "You're the service manager, right?", he said "Yes. But the mechanics have to do the work. Bring it in and they will look at it." I bit my lip as I walked out.

I just wanted an idea if I was headed in the right direction. Needless to say, no wonder Ford can't sell cars. To me, especially.

(By the way I have 5 Fords).

Thanks Nick M. Went to the Ford dealer to get a diagram of the of shifter assembly and a price for a cable - $80. On the way out I asked the service manager if that could possibly be the problem. He said "We don't work on cars here." And I said "You're the service manager, right?", he said "Yes. But the mechanics have to do the work. Bring it in and they will look at it." I bit my lip as I walked out.

I just wanted an idea if I was headed in the right direction. Needless to say, no wonder Ford can't sell cars. To me, especially.

(By the way I have 5 Fords).

Being a retired auto tech I can understand why the service manager didnt want to tell you how to fix your car.It takes profit away from the service manager,service writers and techs. Would you sacrifice your salary to a customer just so he could save some money? They are not in the business to teach you how to repair your car.They also dont care if you buy a new car because that also means less money for them.That being said try to befriend an auto tech, its amazing what buying a guy lunch the day before payday will get you.:D As for your problem before you start pricing parts a little investigating is in order. Symptons can be the result of many maladys. Pull your upper console cover off the car and look straight down from the shifter handle. Do you see spare change,pencils, french fries and other debris? If you do clean all that out first,It may require shifter removal.Cant tell you how many I fixed that way,a little lube wont hurt either. If that is not it disconect the cable from both ends ,it should move easily if not replace it. If these actions do not fix your problem then the cause is likely inside the tranny.:( Then seek professional help.:eek: Good luck Garry

Fixed

Thanks for your reply and verbal assault. ;)
I'm from the old school of helping or giving some friendly advice when asked, it also doesn't cost any money to answer a question. Cable eye end was rusted inside the rubber boot where it goes into the metal sleeve. Freed it up with PB blaster then I'll use trans fluid and load the boot with grease. But my loving (bitcheeee:eek:) wife says it's not done till all tires are touching the ground. Considering the car is a p.i.t.a. to work on it wasn't too time consuming.

Next month is my 30th anniversary working indealership (non-Ford) parts and service departments, the last 20 as a service manager. I expect all my staff and crew to be helpful and answer questions to the best of their ability. A little courtesy and helpfulness goes a long way...and is especially important in a small town.

Every so often we get someone who wears out his welcome by habitually asking for free advice or not having respect for our time but they are the exception, not the rule.

On the other side of the coin I've had customers get a bit of free off-the-cuff advice over the phone but buy parts elsewhere and install them on their own.....and then demand that I refund the money they spent elsewhere when the problem isn't solved....because we "gave bad advice". No lie.

It takes all sorts of people to make the world go round.

Cheers
DD

My take on the attitude of Dealership service departments is just on observation and not the way I treat people. I worked at used car dealers and independant repair shops for the most part. These views are from people I know that do work for dealerships although I understand thier way of thinking I personally dont do things that way.I have always found its better to give away a little advise it pays in the long run. I will help any way I can and if it works out for you stop buy Thursday at noon with a Big Mac.:D.............PS our cars ARE a PITA to work on.

thanks for the offer.garsc.
do you want fries with that? ( wives can be like the car also.) ha.ha.

Back