Fuel door retro

KMT

Anyone tried to retrofit a fuel door with solenoid & inside release button to an SC that came without?

Ken

I did on my 89. All the wiring was there (not sure about other years). The plug near the glove box was hard to find, since it was taped back in the harness.

I believe you need a glove box switch, new door, plastic catch on the door, selenoid and the wire manual release cable. Probably some other fasteners as well. I believe my trunk liner was also already cut for the manual release handle. Of course, my 89 came with about a $30 credit for the electric release that was not installed. I can only assume they could not get the parts to install it in some 89s.

Here is an old post: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26948

You might find more info with a search.

George:

Excellent info, thank you sir!

About the search... I'm a big fan of searching and I did that first. Using 'fuel door', I got 370 hits (approx. 1% of total tech forum posts) and when reading the first 125 didn't get me out of 2007, I gave in :) Using 'fuel door retro' returned 4 hits. With the size of the archives here, fuzzy searches might be a big help when trying to narrow results. Something that can handle near misses and misspelled keywords, perhaps (selenoid vs. solenoid as an example).

It would appear that the best search term for me to use would have been 'option fuel door'...19 hits with the 2003 target msg. being last on the list. Note that using 'optional fuel door' misses the target msg. altogether. You were kind enough to put me out of my misery none-the-less and that speaks for good admin'ing.

I can get all the parts easy enough, but finding a door in the right color might be a bit of a challenge. Nothing some tremclad and a paint roller won't cure, I suppose - Thanks again.

Ken

Back