Super Charger and Intake removal

f1rocco

I havent looked at it yet......Ive taken off both I/C tubes and the Alt and Power steering set up......

?............Im going to rip the other side off and glanced at the rear S/C set up....Urg....Looks like a mess......Any tips on what not to remove and what is the easiest less parts during removal....Figure when I get the accessories off it will show itself........

Gonna try and get the heads and Intake off Saturday..........

Thanks

F1

The SC, intake plenum and throttle body can all come off as one piece.
Three easy to access bolts hold the SC on.
If you have egr then two 10 mm bolts will have to come off the back of the plenum (you may want to remove both upper / lower plastic hood cowl pieces to get the back bolt).
Disconnect a few vacuum lines and the rubber bypass between the intake and return plenum.
Then give it a wiggle and the whole mess will come out. It's actually easier than it sounds.

good luck
Bob

Yep it is really easy. Just disconnect some lines, then unscrew a few bolts going down into the back and on the sides. A shop manual shows exactly where those bolts are. It is easier to do if the whole cowl below the windshield is taken off because it gives you more room to work. When I took mine off I just uscrewed the bolts and lifted the whole thing off at once. The sc, both plenums and tb all attached.

The hardest part is probably the egr if you have one. For that I used a stubby 3/8" ratchet. If you have an earlier model sc you will have to unhook the coolant lines running through the throttle body. On mine I just unbolted the blower top(3 10mm bolts and 1 13mm? stud) and then unbolted the upper ic tube at the intercooler(2 13mm nuts) and removed the whole tube. Loosen the hose clamp to the bypass valve. Remove the passengers side cowling and then remove the egr. Unhook the coolant lines, wiring, and linkage from the throttle body. Remove the sc belt and then unbolt the sc. Remove any vacuum lines on the sc. On mine I lifted the front of the sc up and then wiggled it and the sc came loose.

I tried to get the SC off today and the 2 10mm were a bit too tough......I didnt bring a torch and didnt want to take a chance and snap the bolt....They didnt want to budge...I tapped on them...They were gonna twist snap......4sure

Did find some cool things....Im glad I was replacing the T-chain...

Had a passenger side coolant leak at the tchain housing to head location....No thermostat to be found.....Intake gaskets/rtv upfront looks cooked and missing near the edge....Waterpump hose was touching the pulley and almost worn through.....

Also might have a future bearing issue with SC....Sounds like bearing play when lightly turned...1/4 turn back and forth then "clunk clunk"....

Oh and appears my Super Coupe ate a Red Hawk at one time...Couple feathers between the Inter Cooler

Been fun so far.......

.......Cutup grease stained dry hands are a sign of spring......

Thanks

F1

The hardest part is probably the egr if you have one. For that I used a stubby 3/8" ratchet. If you have an earlier model sc you will have to unhook the coolant lines running through the throttle body. On mine I just unbolted the blower top(3 10mm bolts and 1 13mm? stud) and then unbolted the upper ic tube at the intercooler(2 13mm nuts) and removed the whole tube. Loosen the hose clamp to the bypass valve. Remove the passengers side cowling and then remove the egr. Unhook the coolant lines, wiring, and linkage from the throttle body. Remove the sc belt and then unbolt the sc. Remove any vacuum lines on the sc. On mine I lifted the front of the sc up and then wiggled it and the sc came loose.

By far the most frustrating part was the egr. Definitely remove the cowels and wiper assy. Still a bitch getting that second screw.

Last edited:
Buy far the most frustrating part was the egr.

Echo that. I pulled a supercharger etc. off a wreck in a yard once...they'd lifted it up off the ground so there was room to work from below, but it still took an insane tool combo to get the egr. loose.

My Anny doesn't have that 'feature', thank gawd.

Mine doesn't have an EGR, thankfully, and honestly, the removal of the supercharger/ plenum/ throttle body as an entire unit has to be among the simplest mechanical jobs that I've ever done on a car.

Back