Aluminum Radiator Pics...

fastsc92

Well....I got bored again and decided to fab up an aluminum radiator. I got the unit from Jegs for around $170. It's just a universal ford style, 22x19. Its about 2" bigger that the stock unit. It didn't come with any drain or mounts so I fabbed everything up. I made brackets to mimic the stock mounting tabs, and used stand-offs on the bottom just like the stocker. Everything uses the stock hardware and grommets. I figured I'd use the stock fan for now and welded on some tabs to mount everything just like the stock. I think it came out fairly good, and the whole job was done for around $180. I had to find a new lower hose since the new outlet is much higher than the stock location. A quick trip to NAPA and a look in the back and I was able to find one that fits like a glove. Pics below.:cool:

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

It might fit...you'd have to measure your car. The overall on this unit is 22" and 19" tall. Its the same height as the stocker, and only 2-3" longer. I could have squeezed a 24" in there, but I wanted some room around my IC hook-ups for the front mount.

Looks like a clean and professional installation. Thats the kind of modifacation thats makes sense rather than trying to make a radiator from scratch as some tried to do in the past. Now just get rid of the old fan shroud and fab up something modern for it:D

Ken

I was looking into aftermarket fans but I cant find one with a high/low speed function. Not to mention they are all $$$. I control the fans via the computer and I'd like to keep that option. Any suggestions for aftermarket?

I haven't run it yet but its deff thicker than the stock and the tanks are much larger. I put back what I drained from the stocker, and it didn't even come close to filling it. I added another 3/4 of a gallon and it still wasn't enough....

very nice indeed. I was thinking of doing something similar but worry about the stock IC as well. I am running my SC setup in a MUstang as well so who knows I may have more room, gives me something to think about though for sure, NICELY DONE!

Whats teh part number on that rad?

Also how well does the lower rad hose fit, I notice the lower inlet on the rad is slightly angled from the looks of it.

I needed an entirely new radiator hose. The inlet and outlets on this new rad are 1.5" and 1.75". The stock lower hose only has a 1.5", and it is positioned way to low. I went to NAPA and looked at all the hoses they had in stock and found one that was perfect. I can look up the number for you if you're interested. The part number for the radiator was 555-52015 from Jegs.

The search button rocks....

My buddy has some left over Mustang parts I sen today....He has the same radiator 19x22..Doesnt need it brand new....almost...Wants $100......

I too am interested in what hose you used....

Thanks

F1

Back