New A/F gauge

kenewagner

Just finished installing the new A/F gauge. Some will say it is not needed for tuning and is a waste. They are costly but I wanted something diffrent and also I want to be able to see in real time, driving down the road, without a laptop, just what my A/F is. I also have everything from innovate to datalog other functions and that I will post in the tuning forum. The gauge is more of an expensive toy that will show high & low peaks and in the future I could set it up for boost or a temp gauge. I also did away with the little tiny green light that comes on when my snow injection pump is working and went with this led light. When your old and half blind like me you gotta have a brighter light;)

Ken

Attachments

• AF.jpg
    AF.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 202
I agree man. All my stuff is from PLX, but I too wanted to have a digital display along with the ability to datalogg. I got one of their older M-500 series wireless units when they were brand new. It has a large 4 digit display and I just installed it so that the display was flush in the stock din slot. Wideband is the way to go.

M-500_UnitSoftwareBackground.jpg

As a project this summer I'm going to write some code for the EEC to actually monitor a WideBand when the car is in Open Loop/ Wide open throttle and adjust the fuel trims on the fly so my AFR is exactly what is being commanded.

As it is now I already have my PLX Wideband output plugged into the EEC and I datalog it with everything else.

It'll be an interesting project ;).

Fraser

where do you plug it into the eec? I ran my output wire to the logger itself so I log speed, rpm, afr, tps, maf, and inlet temp.

Since my car doesn't have EGR, I input the 5 volt from the WB into the EGR input wire at the EEC. Then when I'm datalogging I can capture that while I'm datalogging everything else so its all in sync. That way I can compare commanded AFR to actual right in the same datalog.

Its an old trick the Mustang boys have been doing for years when using the TweecerRT.

Right now I'm using the EEC Tuner board, a program I've written that allows me to select what I want to datalog and reads/writes the Tuner board with my tune and datalogging code. I use Binary Editor to do my tuning with and I use EEC Analyzer to analyze my datalogs. When I'm done tuning, I use BE to flash a moates chip.

Hopefully next month I can drop the Tuner board and use a device called the Pegasus from Moates. Thats when its suppose to be released.

I wish I could do that. Right now I just datalog with my PLX, and I usally have everything i need, but it would be nice to datalogg the stock computer. I didn't even know you could do that..... After a log speed,rpm, afr, maf, tps amd intake temps i just use SCTuber software to modify the file.

If you had a V5.3 Tuner board (I understand the V5.2 board doesn't work in the 91-93 cars for some odd reason) you can datalog it. I'm working on the information so Binary Editor can tune those cars, and I'm also figuring out where in memory the values are to grab for datalogging.

Unfortunately the 94/95 cars cannot be datalogged with the Tuner because there is not enough free memory to store the values. I am working on the information though so BE can be used to tune those cars, and datalog with the Pegasus.

At this point in time, I wouldn't bother trying to get a tuner board because of the Pegasus. Its going to be able to datalog your car directly to your laptop so the only limit to how long you datalog is the size of the hard drive, it also has 2 analog inputs to hook up a WB and something else like a boost sensor and those will be datalogged in sync with everything else. You can also do real time emulation, so you can actually change settings using BE on the fly without having to stop and shutdown etc. It looks like its going to sell for less than $300 retail.

Just finished installing the new A/F gauge. Some will say it is not needed for tuning and is a waste. They are costly but I wanted something diffrent and also I want to be able to see in real time, driving down the road, without a laptop, just what my A/F is. I also have everything from innovate to datalog other functions and that I will post in the tuning forum. The gauge is more of an expensive toy that will show high & low peaks and in the future I could set it up for boost or a temp gauge. I also did away with the little tiny green light that comes on when my snow injection pump is working and went with this led light. When your old and half blind like me you gotta have a brighter light;)

Ken

Ken,

Does it use a wide band o2 sensor ??

David

I almost bought that gauge last year, but opted for the cheaper DB gauge to save money for an LM2. I like that install method as I have mine in a pillar pod.

IE, you wouldn't need it for tuning because you are presumably at a dyno shop when tuning. "AFR - Just set it ... and forget it!" ;)

IE, you wouldn't need it for tuning because you are presumably at a dyno shop when tuning. "AFR - Just set it ... and forget it!" ;)

Oh, Ok, I see what you're saying. I still trust my equipment more than that of the dyno shop....

Plus....

Street tuning it is much more fun :D

See your one of those guys:D If you knew what your oil pressure gauge read the first time you started your engine up and than after that just forgot about it would that be close to the same analogy:rolleyes:Seriously it was something I thought was cool:cool: and I havent seen anyone else with one, so it makes it somewhat unique. I am all about making my car a little diffrent than the next guy.I have the auxbox so I can datalog for tuning purposes. It does have some really nice features. It sets right next to the tach so I can see in real time A/F. Its not really a needed gauge but its cool never the less

Ken

the nice thing about a AFR gauge, especially when hooked to a wide band is you can see the actual AFR you are getting out of the engine. Ideally you would have a sensor in each bank. Then when driving around or at the track you would be able to immediately notice an odd engine behavior related to fuel or ignition and possibly catch it before you go WOT on another run and blow a hole through a piston. (i.e. something is messing up the fuel pressure or fuel pump, an injector is starting to fail)

My goal is to eventually track both banks of o/2 with egt sensors for each cylinder.

See, I think the extra info is cool. If you have the time, go for it. Not tops on my priority list, but still cool.

Back