no start after new cam syncronizer install and cam position sensor

quicktsi

I thought I did everything right. Pulled plug #1 and set it to 26 ATDC. Which by the way plug #1 was a bitch to get to and pull. Just to make sure plug #1 is passenger front? Now it will turn over for what sounds like 3-4 revolutions than sounds like it is seizing up. The car has been running with a random tach drop out prior to this. Any ideas?

I did some more reading and found this information.

Also another thing to note, the black plastic that goes around the balancer has BTDC and ATDC written on it, don't go by the numbers on it for ATDC / BTDC (they are reversed).

So it appears I set it to 26 degrees BTDC since the plastic said ATDC. I also paid no attention to the vane position when I stabbed it.

Coincidentally I just posted a question about the plastic covers with the incorrect timing marks in the "non technical" section.

Cheers
DD

The crank turns clockwise. Thus from top dead center, anything further clockwise is After top dead center, and anything anti-clockwise is before top dead center. Thus you can use the plastic cover just ignore the labels.

Was it specific to certain years that the cover was wrong. I could have swore that I went clockwise and it said ATDC. I did pick up the OTC tool this morning.

Ok is this correct?

Picture856.jpg

Do you use a cam assembly tool and set the cam assembly with a 30deg angle from the face of the block?

This is the tool attached to a cam assembly. It keeps the vane and the outer assembly locked together while you stab it into the timing cover.

emersonandcamposition009.jpg

See the arrow, it should make a 30 deg angle off the face of the block while the crank is positioned at 26 deg ATDC. It takes a bit to get the assembly to install correctly as it engages with the gear attached to the camshaft and will rotate as you stab it in. This is how it would look installed, notice the arrow makes a 30 deg angle off the face of the block.

installtoolonblock001.jpg

If you didn't notice how you stabbed it I am sure this is your problem. Also, that plactic cover over your harmonic balancer looks kinda broken if it is moving around at all it could put you off. Underneath the cover there is a pointer on the timing cover that can be used in conjuction with the harmonic balancer as in this picture so as to set the 26deg ATDC.

turboprojectday2005.jpg

Hope that helps,
Chris

Unplug the cam sensor. If the engine runs right, line up the 26 deg mark again, pull the camshaft sync stalk spin the cup to line it up in the center of the notch, bolt it down and try again. If that doesn't work. line up to 26 deg, and line the cup 180 degrees out from where it is. You don't need to pull the #1 plug and/or fool with TDC of the #1 compression stroke that way, nor do you need the alignment tool either. . :cool:

All is good. I had the timing set correctly the first time, just set synchronizer vane wrong. I got the tool just to make sure and stabbed it and it fired and started on the first try.

I took the car for a drive and thought all was good. The tach dropped out again, about mid way in the test drive. I have a spare dis I will have tested and it if passes, I will try it out. If that does not fix the problem I will be looking in to a new tach as other have stated.

I am getting a check engine light over 40 mph that goes out when I drop under 40 now. I will get that checked tomorrow while getting the DIS checked.

The tach dropped out again, about mid way in the test drive. I have a spare dis I will have tested and it if passes, I will try it out. If that does not fix the problem I will be looking in to a new tach as other have stated.
If that doesn't fix you up, use a NEW DIS before you dive into the tach. I've never seen a tach go bad, but plenty of cam sensors and DIS modules. My spare DIS's are there for emergencies.. they all have tach fade but are good enough to keep the engine running. :cool:

my tach went bad, would read norml for a bit..then peg then 0 then nothing and i got pissed and replaced it and works like a champ:D

Back