my AOD trans.... little up date

92sclikenew

well today i took the car out to the shop, once again talked to the owner got his word he was gonna fix it only him.... so on

he thinks its ether valve body or an input shaft.... whats your guys opion on this...

also... we said to him were pay you another amount of money to make that trans better... then he said back ther isnt nothing i can do besides a manual valve body, and that ther aint moch out ther for the aod:eek: how true is this is he pullin my lag?then said i have built a millon of these its just an aod i omost laughed...

well i dont know how long its gonna take but he has the whole car so he can figure it out... im happy with that now just as long as he dont break anything that aint related to the trans...

Last edited:
Valve body is quite possible. Its very sensitive to even the smallest grain of debris. Valve body should be blown out with solvent and compressed air, honed as needed to ensure no binding of the valves, and assembled dry.

A pro should know to also recommend an inline filter, in addition to the pan filter, to catch as much left over line+converter debris as possible.

There are not a lot of build up kits for the AOD, but plenty of parts to do that part. If you go that route, you need to learn how-to IMO, or get ahold of a place like Lentech.

Last edited:
Valve body is quite possible. Its very sensitive to even the smallest grain of debris. Valve body should be blown out with solvent and compressed air, honed as needed to ensure no binding of the valves, and assembled dry.

A pro should know to also recommend an inline filter, in addition to the pan filter, to catch as much left over line+converter debris as possible.

There are not a lot of build up kits for the AOD, but plenty of parts to do that part. If you go that route, you need to learn how-to IMO, or get ahold of a place like Lentech.

yea were were talkin like extra clutchs in the packs... im not sure really how this works but my dad was talkin about it cuz he had it done to a c6 trans for a 460 same guy was great trans... anyways that and larger bands or w.e he could do.. but i guess there aint much

sorry for dragging this out guys... :eek:

Honestly, if I was that guy, I might just take it like a man, buy you a different core, and rebuild that. Maybe you have a cracked or warped case? Either someone at that shop is not with the program, or something strange is wrong with that transmission.

Honestly, if I was that guy, I might just take it like a man, buy you a different core, and rebuild that. Maybe you have a cracked or warped case? Either someone at that shop is not with the program, or something strange is wrong with that transmission.

yea i dont know what the deal is but i keep taking it back

yea were were talkin like extra clutchs in the packs... im not sure really how this works but my dad was talkin about it cuz he had it done to a c6 trans for a 460 same guy was great trans... anyways that and larger bands or w.e he could do.. but i guess there aint much

sorry for dragging this out guys... :eek:

You can get all that stuff from Lentech.The extra clutch come from the fact that the upgraded ones are thinner than the factory ones allowing you to install more in the drum.Lenny also has the wider bands .The guy your talking to is totally wrong about there not being much out there.They have enough parts available to put a aod behind a 1500hp motor and have it survive.

Jay

You can get all that stuff from Lentech.The extra clutch come from the fact that the upgraded ones are thinner than the factory ones allowing you to install more in the drum.Lenny also has the wider bands .The guy your talking to is totally wrong about there not being much out there.They have enough parts available to put a aod behind a 1500hp motor and have it survive.

Jay

oh i beleave it thats why i figured i would come and ask the pro's.... well if he wants to make it hard and make me keep bringing the car back thats his prob..

really guys this car aint much its not no monster this rebuild should be holding up...

its a 92
ported 89 blower and plenum largest it could get
10%
3:73s
a/c delete pretty much every thing is off the car
custom cai puts filter out of engine compartment
really wanna say thats it with go fast...

maybe pushing 250-280hp and like 350-400ft lb of tq
these are just est...

but the car was running around the 13.8s with a bad trans.. so i dont know to me thats not alot of power..

i also just been thinking.. is there any chance that there is a diff rebuilt kit for a sc to a lx and if so could he be using a lx kit

There are differences in the SC and 5.0 AOD vs the LX 3.8 AOD. I ran into those when I was trying to rebuild my AOD, which I eventually scrapped and bought TCI due to the amount of crap that must be right for them to work. I don't think you are making 250HP to the wheels so you shouldn't be putting that much strain on a stock rebuilt AOD.

I had a Lentch guy rebuild my trans.....

I don't know what he did, but it made a world of difference.....

If I ever have to do an AOD again, I'm going with a complete Lentech trans....

There are differences in the SC and 5.0 AOD vs the LX 3.8 AOD. I ran into those when I was trying to rebuild my AOD, which I eventually scrapped and bought TCI due to the amount of crap that must be right for them to work. I don't think you are making 250HP to the wheels so you shouldn't be putting that much strain on a stock rebuilt AOD.

i know you dout it so do i but im hangin with 400hp gtos so i got to be close..

a 6.0 06 gto car bearly get 2 1/2 cars on me.. and the guy i ran said damn that cars quick didnt expect that to be so quick.. and i laughed:D this is all b4 my trans was rebuilt and it was runing like crap

Last edited:
i know you dout it so do i but im hangin with 400hp gtos so i got to be close..

a 6.0 06 gto car bearly get 2 1/2 cars on me.. and the guy i ran said damn that cars quick didnt expect that to be so quick.. and i laughed:D this is all b4 my trans was rebuilt and it was runing like crap

then he didnt know how to drive. i've driven GTO's and there's NO WAY your SC would even come close with the little modifications u have. sry to burst ur bubble.

i'd say ur maybe around 240 hp and 340 tq at the motor....

then he didnt know how to drive. i've driven GTO's and there's NO WAY your SC would even come close with the little modifications u have. sry to burst ur bubble.

i'd say ur maybe around 240 hp and 340 tq at the motor....

well i meet up with this guy all the time next time my sc is running right ill get a vid.. his car was screaming.. i never said that i just said since i raced him and he thought i was quick i figured i could be in that range thats all..

anyways this aint a thread about how fast my car is i was askin for help about makin my trans stronger and seeing if i got lied to:rolleyes:;):eek:

just get a valve body from Lentech and a better torue converter. ;)

based on ur mods and from my experience, i'd say u might be able to break into 14's with a few good runs and some experience behind the wheel.

just get a valve body from Lentech and a better torue converter. ;)

based on ur mods and from my experience, i'd say u might be able to break into 14's with a few good runs and some experience behind the wheel.

thanks for the info.. what will hte valve body help do? and whats they cost?

well got some words today on what is wrong...

i guess it could have been ether a valve body issue or an input shaft could have broke well today he said a the shaft broke.. and that he order'd a one peice so does that mean ther trans has a 2 peice stock? or what?

owell atleast this cant be my fault :eek: weak parts i guess done know what do you guys think...

where can i look into getting Lentech parts?

Last edited:
i think this is what he is wanting to do idk if its this brand

The Art Carr system makes use of a solid input shaft and special torque converter. The solid input shaft replaces the two concentric shafts and eliminates the "lockup" feature of the AOD transmission. The torque converter uses a C-6 style input shaft spline which is only compatible with the Art Carr one-piece input shaft

Back