Fuel Gauge/Mileage

Young-SC-Owner

Ok fellas,

This is my dilemma, When my fuel gauge is on "E" i can only fill up a max of 12 gallons, and thats clicking the automatic stop 10 times or so.

Thus leading me to my next question, Yesterday evening I was coming from home, Most of you all know im living in Tulsa and frequently make the trip back and fourth from the Lake of the Ozarks to here, anywho I hit a small pothole right after I filled up, then drove 130 miles and my gauge never moved from "F"
usually if it DOES do that it can sit a while and it "resets" itself? Well this morning before class I got in my car and it still hadnt moved from the F spot
Im wondering if anything is F'ed up here, i mean acording to my trip i can go about 240-260ish range on a "tank" of gas according to the gauge movment.
Then I can only fill to a max of 12 gallons.
My Questions are

1. What is the size of an 89's tank?
2. Is my gauge F'ed up?
3. Whats the normal range for an SC on the highway at about 80
4. WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!

1. According to everything I've read, MN-12's were only offered in 18Gal tanks. According to an article on TCCoA, 89-91 Cougars were offered with 19gal tanks, and according to Fturner, his SC has an even larger tank.

2. The gauge stuck sometimes on my Cougar. Usually if it did sometimes, filling it up and driving fixed it. Not sure what caused it though.

3. Normal range for my SC? 17mpg. On average, I think guys were getting like 23-26 on the highway.

its 276 exactly

miles?

aslong as you fill up, you should have no problem at all making it.
to be on the safe side, I would have more than 50 miles on the trip before leaving.

that'd put you at 326 which is well in your limits, while being safe about it.

my cars doodie on gas.... it took me 14 gals of gas to go 200 miles round trip when I go to E-town.. and thats drivin nice n easy

miles?

aslong as you fill up, you should have no problem at all making it.
to be on the safe side, I would have more than 50 miles on the trip before leaving.

that'd put you at 326 which is well in your limits, while being safe about it.

Im lost as to what you mean?

Im lost as to what you mean?

you said 276 miles. That is the trip you take correct?

All I'm saying is that you should have no problem at all going 350miles before filling up. Obviously you're getting close to/at/ or more than 20miles per gallon. 20 miles per gallon at 18 gallons = 360 miles.

Hiway, right?

Not typical for strictly around town as I see it. More like 275 then...

Ken

Depending on the condition of the car, the style of driving, I'd say 315 is reasonable. Some guys have no problem getting this. While others (myself included) have problems getting near that strictly highway.

And yes, the trip he's talking about is highway.

I would get a 5 gallon gas can and fill it up, fill up your fuel tank , and drive it untill it starts to sputter, and then add the 5 gallons from the gas can. That way you can see exactly how far you can go. Don't run the car totally out of gas though.

I could do that, but i dont want 5 gal of gas in my car:confused:

i dont want to find out the hard way:(

Yes its all highway

Ok, from the mileage you posted, you get right over 20mpg.
Work the math out, and 18gallons (size of gas tank.) x 20mpg = 360miles.

Since technically, you get 20.888 miles per gallon, you should have no problem going 350 all highway. However, if mixed, I wouldn't go above 300-325. The fuel gauges on these cars aren't at all accurate. The gauge on my 95 Cougar, would be empty when there was 4 gallons of gas left in it. Check gauge light would come on when there was 2 gallons.

My 94 SC? On empty when there is a hair over 2 gallons of gas in the tank. I bet if I drove it to get the check gauge light on, I'd be running on fumes.

yeah my gauge reads "E" with 6! gallons left!!

Im leaving for home again tomorrow afternoon and im driving strait thru till home, then ill fill at the filling station right near my place, in theory i "should" make it hehe

if not its your ~~~ 94_XR7:mad:

jk jk

-Tony

hope you have a cell phone tony,with your luck will run out of gas and not have a signel.:D:D be safe say hello to better half.

Back