Regular or SFI BHJ Balancer

JNT

SCCoA Member
I need a balancer for my 94SC. I was planning to order a standard BHJ balancer but the SFI balancer isn't that much more.

I know I currently wont benefit from the SFI (and probably never will spin it to 6K) but is there any downside to buying this one instead?

I'd rather not have to buy one again if I get the car built up.

Joe

I think you just answered your own question ;).

FT

LOL thanks yeah I guess so. :)

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any downside to the sfi on a lightly modded car. Couldn't imagine there would be but I don't like making $400 mistakes.

Joe

FWIW, I had my balancer re-bonded for $100. To be honest I didn't see anything wrong with it but I had it redone anyhow. <shrug>

I know you guys will be wagging your fingers at me :) but there just isn't $400 in the budget right now. Maybe after I actually get the car on the road I'll go back and do some upgrades like that.

Hoping for the best. If it fails I'll gladly take all of the "I told ya so" remarks :)

DD

FWIW, I had my balancer re-bonded for $100. To be honest I didn't see anything wrong with it but I had it redone anyhow. <shrug>

I know you guys will be wagging your fingers at me :) but there just isn't $400 in the budget right now. Maybe after I actually get the car on the road I'll go back and do some upgrades like that.

Hoping for the best. If it fails I'll gladly take all of the "I told ya so" remarks :)

DD
where do you get these rebonded?

I need a balancer for my 94SC. I was planning to order a standard BHJ balancer but the SFI balancer isn't that much more.

I know I currently wont benefit from the SFI (and probably never will spin it to 6K) but is there any downside to buying this one instead?

I'd rather not have to buy one again if I get the car built up.

Joe

SFI BHJ Balancer

The SFI is only for NHRA or IHRA rules you dont need the SFI unless you race the car in the low 10 or 9's. Mine is SFI I dident have any issues until I ran 9.989et they looked it over real good. If its a street car you dont need the SFI balancer save the extra cash both balancers are the same your only paying more for the SFI cert

Last edited:
SFI BHJ Balancer

The SFI is only for NHRA or IHRA rules you dont need the SFI unless you race the car in the low 10 or 9's. Mine is SFI I dident have any issues until I ran 9.989et they looked it over real good. If its a street car you dont need the SFI balancer save the extra cash both balancers are the same your only paying more for the SFI cert

Ok interesting. Thanks for the info.

Joe

SFI BHJ Balancer

the cost difference is only 10 bucks so why not get it.....:rolleyes:

Rebuild Balancer Update

On recommendation I used this guy:

http://www.dalemfg.com/harmonicbalancer_001.htm

Pretty raunchy web page but the end product seems good. There are lots of outfits that do this work. Just Google "harmonic balancer rebuilding" or similar.

Cheers
DD
This guy is in our "back yard". The price now is $115. In the list, he has only done a 1989 SC. I think I will use him then he can add 1995 SC. NOTE the months they are closed March, June September, December. " Life time guarantee (even if you sell your vehicle!): If the rubber fails on your harmonic balancer, I will rebuild it at no charge to you (you pay only the shipping charges)."
I might have to go meet this guy next time I am down that way.
-Dave J.

Back