PDA

View Full Version : brake problem

decipha
03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I just recently purchased 2x 1990 super coupes, my red s/c has an intermittent brake problem.

when i first start the car i have no brake lights on my dash and the brakes work fine. After stopping a few times when i hit the brake pedal it gets rock hard and the brake light and anti lock light come on. After a few seconds the lights go back off and the brakes work fine until i press the brake pedal a few more times.

the car was sitting up for a couple months before I purchased it so I'm thinking it may have a little air in the lines. I kinda have the feeling the accumulator is crapping out on me but I'd rather bleed the brakes first before throwing money at it if anyone thinks that may be the culprit.

also, when i shut the car off for the night i can sometimes hear the abs pump going at it, and in the morning i have to jump the car to start it.

any ideas? all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pokey
03-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds like an accumulator problem to me, and also the abs pump motor relay sticking causing the motor to stay running.

decipha
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
so i should change the accumulator and the relay? you don't think bleeding it would help any?

nascar john
03-27-2008, 03:03 PM
these pre 94 abs brake systems suck. accumulator @priorreman.com. i would first check the relay, i think it is under the cowl under the hood on pass side and i believe it is brown. pump should only run on initial startup and during braking. go to google and type in "teves mark 2" and this should help with the pump question

decipha
03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
this is strange, at least i think its odd

i went out and added some brake fluid to the resevior and now the brakes seem to be working, lights went out and now when i depress the brake pedal both lights come on and then the pump comes on and and the lights go out

does this every time i press the pedal now, but at least i got brakes

Colo Bird
03-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Your accumulator is bad - change it ASAP or you will burn our your ABS pump since it must run to recharge the system pressure every time you step on the brakes. I had the same symptoms and changed my accumulator yesterday. Got the part from spinningwheels-SC since Prior was out of stock. The accumulator was a ~~~~ to loosen and remove but the brakes work great now.

Pokey
03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Your accumulator is bad - change it ASAP or you will burn our your ABS pump since it must run to recharge the system pressure every time you step on the brakes.

I agree, I ordered my accumulator from spinningwheels as well, too bad it is going to take ten days for it to come from Florida or wherever they are. It should be here Monday, then I will get to start my profanity parade while changing it out. ;)

decipha
04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
i replaced the abs pump relay yesterday

carquest part number: RY46 ;cost $16.28 w/ tax

now the brake problems are nearly gone, but i noticed that when i first start the car the antilock light is off until i start rolling then it lights up, im thinking i may have dirt on my abs sensors since it only comes on when i'm moving, if i stay under 15mph the light won't come on

i probably will change out the accumulator as well but since i don't see the need at the time being it'll be on the back burner

TbirdSCFan
04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
i probably will change out the accumulator as well but since i don't see the need at the time being it'll be on the back burner Don't put it off for long... 2 things.. you'll overwork the pump motor and... as of right now, you have no ABS... only power assisted brakes. Not a big deal unless you're driving on slick surfaces but just so it doesn't surprise you. And no.. you don't want a used accumulator. chances are 9/10 that its worn out as well.