Need a new coil pack...

fastsc92

Not sure if it was old age, or me leaning on the coil pack but i noticed that the #3 connection on the coil pack had broken off. I've heard mixed reviews about the stock system vs. the screamin' demon coil as well as the accel coil. I don't expect to gain anything by going aftermarket....I mean, let's be realistic here... My question is, are any of the two aftermarket brands BETTER than the stocker? I know they claim performace gains but I highly doubt any of that. I just want the best option for me before I got to NAPA and get a stock replacment.

The set-up it's going on runs 20+ lbs of boost, nitrous, magnacore wires and autolite 103 plugs.

A used stock coil will likely be perfect. Otherwise I'd go with the screaming demon before the Accel unit.

The scraming demon one will allow you to run a larger gap on the spark plug for better fuel economy and no spark blowout. There really isnt any performance gains.

I'd like to buy a new coil, rather than second hand in any situation. A new Ford coil is $87 and the screamin demon coil is $89. I just don't want something that's a hunk of cr@p on my car if the motorsport one is find and more reliable. As I stated before, I wasn't expecting any peformance gains from it. I gap my plugs (103's) at .035". Seems to work perfect with high boost and nitrous.

Back