Transmission install by yourself

nickleman60

:eek:......How many of you all have done a trans. swap with the car just on jackstands by yourself? I'm actually pretty good at it (pat myself on my back :rolleyes:) I had to figure out a couple ways to get the trans. up on the trans. floorjack adapter that i have since the car isn't high enough to just roll it underneath sitting on it but good ol' redneck engineering figured out a way. If it wasn't for the rain today I would have finished the installation but now I'll finish it up after work Mon. or Tues..............:D

i did mine by myself on jackstands and in the gravel just used a regular floor jack and balanced the sucker on there and pulled the jacke forward untill it slipped on and button it up. The manual trannys on these cars are pretty simple i like that.

i got a 92 im sure you guy read most of my trans issues in the last month and a half i have had the trans out 3 times. with in the time of ownin the car its been out about 6 times all because of probs...every time on jack stands with just a old floor jack...... dang AODs

by my self i can get it out in about 2 hours with some one about an hour and a half which is pretty much 2 extra hands because i got to tell who ever what to do and how to do it :D and me do the harder of things:rolleyes:

Pulled my trans out with the rear on jackstands and the front centered on a floor jack. Had to let it hit the ground to get it out (place reminder to get a tranny jack here). Getting it back in was a readneck board and a smaller floor jack. I am sure some of you remember my thread when I was done. I went to lower the car and it fell off the floor jack it was centered on and jammed the jack right through the oil pan into the sump.

Gotta do it again soon to swap the slave.

Pulled my trans out with the rear on jackstands and the front centered on a floor jack. Had to let it hit the ground to get it out (place reminder to get a tranny jack here). Getting it back in was a readneck board and a smaller floor jack. I am sure some of you remember my thread when I was done. I went to lower the car and it fell off the floor jack it was centered on and jammed the jack right through the oil pan into the sump.

Gotta do it again soon to swap the slave.

if i read this right you said you had a jack holding the front up while you were under it???

if so your nuts!!!!!

if i read this right you said you had a jack holding the front up while you were under it???

if so your nuts!!!!!

Dahoopd must be like a cat and have 9 lives, i only have 1 and I always use jackstands. I like the 6 ton models because the lift it up pretty high and they just seem safer than the smaller ones. I'm usually wrenching by myself so I don't want something to happen and nobody around to rescue me.

Yes, it was just the jack and it was a 3 ton. Yeah, it was pretty stupid but it worked. I wasnt too happy when it came crashing down through the pan.

I like the 6 ton models because the lift it up pretty high and they just seem safer than the smaller ones.

Agreed these are pretty cheap at Harbor freight and extended to the skies...I use them for my 4x4...

Another trick if working by yourself is use block and 4x4z or 2x4z...Jack the tranny down so it sits on the wood and blocks...Then lift it up and take either a board out or block....You pretty much walk the transmission down...Slower but safer and cheaper then having to weld your tranny back together..Tranny jack is better...But Ill never buy one...I always say..Its the last time Ill have to do it...lol

F1

Agreed these are pretty cheap at Harbor freight and extended to the skies...I use them for my 4x4...

Another trick if working by yourself is use block and 4x4z or 2x4z...Jack the tranny down so it sits on the wood and blocks...Then lift it up and take either a board out or block....You pretty much walk the transmission down...Slower but safer and cheaper then having to weld your tranny back together..Tranny jack is better...But Ill never buy one...I always say..Its the last time Ill have to do it...lol

F1

That's where I got mine, on sale for $19.99 a pair, I have 4. I also have (6) 3 ton stands. After fumbling around trying to balance a tranny on a floor jack, I bought a tranny adapter for my floorjack on ebay for $40 shipped, one of the best $40 tools I've ever bought. $40 is a cheap price to pay for the ease the adapter makes when installing a trans....:D

I've pulled the tranny's on both of my SC's on jack stands by myself. The manual trans in my 95 was not to hard partly because it's not that heavy but the automatic in my 94 was a bear. I used floor jack's for the manual but I used an ATV/Motorcycle jack and 15" rubber tie down straps for the automatic which made it much less of a bear than it would have been with floor jacks.

I get the car high enough to get under the transmission, and pull it out and let it rest on my chest, then hold it snug as I roll it over on the floor. The coming out is easy--its the going back in that hurts :(

When I was a kid I would make a rope sling to tie around the tranny, and would run the rope up through hole in the floor, over the steering column, out the side window, under the car, and wrapped around my leg. I would pull the tranny back and slowly feed out the rope to let it down.

Sounds stupid, but it worked

Back