Car broke down and sitting at the bank

BArtkowsky

end of my rope ---> here me ----> Here. Anyways it has been a great morning and it is only 7:15am. I was halfway to work when i stopped at a stop sign and went to go and it started cutting out and the rpm's would go down to nothing with the car really stumbling and then the rpms would jump back up past idle and then level out to normal and repeat it all over again then be fine for a little while and then do it again. check engine light is on steady now. the car will just creep along with no power. Before i was getting codes intermittently and it would kinda do the cut out thing every once in a while. the codes were (throttle position sensor/ pedal position higher than expected, something about adaptive fuel pressure, and lean condition. I have replaced the fuel pump with a 195 lph from SCP, I have changed the intake gaskets down to the manifold and fuel injector o rings, I have repalced the throttttle position sensor all within the past few months. It has been doing the intermittent cutout/bucking thing since i replaced the intake gaskets. Havent has a chance to check plugs yet to see if they are fouled at all. I figure it may be the TPS though it would be the third time for that, or the DIS module although that has been replaced once a few years ago and i did use the arctic silver thermal compund, or the EEC, It has been lacking power since before the intake gaskets were changed, I have also replced the cam sensor a while ago. I put new oxygen sensors on it recently. I also had a new exhaust including magnaflow hi flow cats and a magnaflow resonator with the remainder of the old flowmaster after the new resonator. Anyone have any ideas?

I had a similar issue recently on my daughters Saturn - and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. The car ran fine, until she kicked it into passing one day, and the tach went crazy but the car wouldn't go... pulled of the side of the road, turned it off and started it back up and it ran fine for a bit until she kicked it again.

The only difference I can see here is hers actually threw the crank sensor as a code.

maybe a bad connection or ground, maybe the ignition switch and it's box
mine would do that and - for me it was the ing/box

Sounds to me like either your balancer is on its way out or your Crank sensor went...possibly a combination of the two together.

I've replaced balancers on 3 different SCs, all of which have been with the car running fine, then dying for no reason and out of nowhere. My first SC the balancer broke the bolt but the balancer didn't fall off so when it was on tight the car would purr one day the next it would limp. The other 2 instances involved cruising and the car just cutting off.

A TPS sensor might affect idol on the car but never heard it causing the car to limp...

If it were me I'd check the balancer and sensor first and still replace the TPS since you know thats a problem already.

-Tim

Last edited:
If the tach drops out while the car is stumbling it pretty much points to an ignition system problem. If the car is stumbling but the tach stays with it, look elsewhere for the cause.

Back