questions about tires and wheels

mgdtbird

I have a 1991 SC, and found some rims that I like. Issue is they only come in the mustang bolt pattern. First question are adapters good to use?? Second question is what tire size can I go up to without any clearance issues?? Rim size is ( 18x8, 40 offset, 6 backside ). I would love to use 275's out back and 245's up front. I am sure other SC owners have dealt with this, so any information would be very helpful.

Thanks

Jeff

Rather than use adapters, you should consider removing all 4 of your hubs and installing Mustang/Cobra hubs...since this is the only component you really need to change to accept Mustang wheels. Front hubs are typically $100/pair new, rear hubs need to be from a 99+ Cobra since those came with IRS (probably closer to $180/pair new). Then you can simply have a machine shop redrill all of your rotors for the Mustang pattern ($100) and reinstall everything with new hub nuts ($7 each). So as you can see...it's about a $400 operation for all brand new stuff. You can cut that price down if you scout some of the Mustang boards for used stuff. Almost forgot, you'll need mustang lug nuts now.

As for wheels. I have 18 X 8.5's up front on my SC with 5.75 backspace and 245/40's. They fit great. Nice and flush with the fender, plenty of room behind. My rims have a front space of 3.75 and IMO, this is perfect. Your rims would have 2.9 front space, so they will tuck in .85 inch further. Personally, that would be a little more than I would want, but they will fit just fine inside and out. If you are running the same wheel front/rear, I think it would look hot if you used some 1/2 inch spacers in the rear to give the car a nice even stance.

Why get your front rotors redrilled?
Just buy new ones....you can get then as cheap as $30 a piece to $54 a piece(mustang bolt pattern), and at the same time, they are new:) .(got this info off of Oreilly's website).

now the rear, I'm not to sure about(have not done the swap)...

I'm just not sure what mustang rotors fit with our calipers.

96-04 I believe will fit.(96 for sure...same size rotors(not the bolt pattern of course)...my brother has a 96 Gt).

and I'm talking about standard size brakes...not the cobras.

94-04 base model and GT Mustang rotors will work for the front. Nothing off the shelf for the rear with 5 on 4.5" pattern.

If you use wheel adapters, you would need wheels with an extra 1 to 1-1/4" of backspacing.

cheers
Ed N.

Offset

With that offset you might want to use a spacer. I had a 45 mm off set and used a 3/8 spacer = 10 or so. Final offset 35 mm.

Im running 18x9 with 245/45 and 275/35. All I had to do was zip tie my ebrake line a couple more times to ensure no rubbing.

Back