drag tires for a 5-speed

90blkbrd

I've read a few of the threads on drag tires and I'm still not confident I can make the right choice.

height
width
Drag radials
drag slicks
slick radials
bias ply
tubes vs no tubes
15" vs 16"

My only requirement is that it works with a 16 SC wheel, I have 8 of them at the moment. That is unless someone gives a real compelling reason 15" would be better.

I'm not a big drag racer and I'll probably won't get to the track no more than 2-3 times a year.

If it matters the car (prior owner) has ran mid to low 13's at 105-107 mph on street tires and ~2.3 60 foot. This was before the MPx was installed.

Car has early style M5R2 and 2.73's and line locks.

Last edited:
You wont need tubes unless you run real low pressures or you have bad bead seal on the rims. Go with what Damon says 27x10.5 16 should be a good size if you want more gearing you can do 26"

The M & H ones you have listed are a little wide for the stock rims. fwiw - I use the M/T ET Streets, 27x10.5x16. You didn't say what rear end you have. That might make a difference between choosing the 26, 27 or 28's.

Ira

The M & H ones you have listed are a little wide for the stock rims. fwiw - I use the M/T ET Streets, 27x10.5x16. You didn't say what rear end you have. That might make a difference between choosing the 26, 27 or 28's.

Ira

Done, I added it above.

getting a et street is like bringing a water gun to a gunfight. get something that will work. m/t et drag 26x10x15 put on a lightweight wheel.

getting a et street is like bringing a water gun to a gunfight. get something that will work. m/t et drag 26x10x15 put on a lightweight wheel.

Agreed, if going to a bias ply. No sense in getting the bias ply ET Streets if it is track only anyways.

A slick radial IS the best drag tire you can get (costs some money, though.) It isn't solid as a rock like a drag radial, so not as prone for drivetrain destruction, but does not rid of tangential velocity lost by a bias ply tire's elasticity. The slick radial will shock absorb from bump forces at launch.

If you feel you would run in a stock class at the Shootout... you have to run a radial DOT tire.

If you want to run in some track street night events, you need to have a DOT rated tire.

I have been using the 26x10.5 on a 15" LX wheel ET Street tires with fairly good success on my high 14 second car. They should be good for the car as it dips into the 13's. I run them without tubes, and at no more than 16psi.

note that the benefit of the 15" tire is going to be more sidewall height, and thus flex/wrinkle. It also means it could be a little wiggly at the end of the track.

You could always try the Hoosier brand of tires, which I would personally endorse. I personally feel that a taller tire or one with as much sidewall as possible is the best bet for a 5spd to help with wheel hop. The Hoosiers I would recommend are:

For a DOT tire Hoosier 17603

For a Slick tire Hoosier 18153

Which both of these tires will fit a stock 16" SC wheel.

Chris

I;ve had 1.4 short times with et streets on my cougar when it was a supercharged v8..Of course if he wanst an all out race tire get a slick...But a 16 inch ET street is a GREAT tire.And DOT approved

If you feel you would run in a stock class at the Shootout... you have to run a radial DOT tire.

I intended this thread to be towards 5-speed cars. But my new 5-speed won't be running in stock class. It was a Mod 1 in 2005. It came with Nitto 555's on it, they seem to be pretty sticky when the temps are above 50. There hasn't been many chances to drive my new car at decent temperatures yet.

Agreed, if going to a bias ply. No sense in getting the bias ply ET Streets if it is track only anyways.

A slick radial IS the best drag tire you can get (costs some money, though.) It isn't solid as a rock like a drag radial, so not as prone for drivetrain destruction, but does not rid of tangential velocity lost by a bias ply tire's elasticity. The slick radial will shock absorb from bump forces at launch.

Thanks for the input, I know you are working one handed right now. I didn't find any that would fit a 16" tire.

But is this an example of a drag radial?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MTT-3073R&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Thanks for the input, I know you are working one handed right now. I didn't find any that would fit a 16" tire.

But is this an example of a drag radial?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MTT-3073R&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That is the slick radial. Drag radials are the DOT treaded tires people like to use on the street. I failed to read that you wanted a 16" tire. If you could find 15" wheels you would be better off on weight and tire selection. Either way, a nine inch tire would be all you needed. Anything else will just be extra rotating mass slowing the car down. You can only run what's available though, obviously.

Ha, typing with my left index finger sucks.

I've read a few of the threads on drag tires and I'm still not confident I can make the right choice.

height
width
Drag radials
drag slicks
slick radials
bias ply
tubes vs no tubes
15" vs 16"

My only requirement is that it works with a 16 SC wheel, I have 8 of them at the moment. That is unless someone gives a real compelling reason 15" would be better.

I'm not a big drag racer and I'll probably won't get to the track no more than 2-3 times a year.

If it matters the car (prior owner) has ran mid to low 13's at 105-107 mph on street tires and ~2.3 60 foot. This was before the MPx was installed.

Car has early style M5R2 and 2.73's and line locks.

At your power level you would probably get the most use out of a dot slick. The Quick Time Pro that Chris Wise posted or a M/T ET street 27" x 10.5 x 16 would be my reccomendation.

David

The reason I prefer a DOT slick is that I can actually go to the track on both street-tire and slick-tire test-n-tune nights. I'm sure other tracks may not have separate nights for each, but our local track does and the DOT slick gives me more flexability for attending a test-n-tune.

The best tire in my opinion is the Hoosier QT Pro's. They were the cheapest, and they hooked better than the ET Streets. I mounted a set on stock rims without tubes and I run about 12psi in each. I can easily cut 1.6 short times with them. Mine are 26 x 9.5 x 16. The best tire that fits the stock 6.5" wide rim in my opinion. They are DOT legal, nylon belted tire. They drive ok on the street, but with no real sidewall, I wouldn't drive them any longer than you need to, not to mention street driving and burnouts on street pavement kills the life of the tires. If you're running 2.73's def think about getting 3.55's or 3.27's. The 2.73 will 100% bog at the launch with a set of sticky tires. Any DOT tire such as the QT pros or the ET streets are almost identical to a full out slick, but with 3/32" "tread", which is basically a line in the tire. A word of caution....don't get caught in a thunderstorm on the way to the track.... pics to follow...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
At his power level, I dont think his car will bog. 2.73s will be fine. run some 26s if you want a little more gear. You will start to loose sideflex.

a 26 inch tall tire will feel much better..Of course runinga bias ply in the rear and radials UP FRONT!!!!!! can cause a scary scenario at high speeds

Last edited:
That is the slick radial. Drag radials are the DOT treaded tires people like to use on the street. I failed to read that you wanted a 16" tire. If you could find 15" wheels you would be better off on weight and tire selection. Either way, a nine inch tire would be all you needed. Anything else will just be extra rotating mass slowing the car down. You can only run what's available though, obviously.

If I could trade 4 beat up 16" SC wheels for 2 15" wheels locally, I'd probably be willing to go with the 15" route. But right now I don't want to spend the money on MORE rims.

Ha, typing with my left index finger sucks.

I feel for you. :(

Back