Transmission Problem

Poobah

Have a 90 Auto w/ 46k miles. When I first got the car the car would not start in Park. The engine would turn over but it would die sounding like a car with a manual transmission starting in fifth.

Anyway the car would start in Neutral but would die as soon as the car was put into any other gear.

After about twenty minutes of messing with the car it finally started in Park or Neutral, but Reverse was gone.

The car went into the shop to replace the harmonic balancer and now that it is out I have found that the SC only has first gear.

While looking over the rest of the car I noticed that a linkage to the throttle body was disconnected. The linkage is apparently the Throttle Valve linkage and is probably the cause for all of my grief.
I reconnected the linkage but there is no change in the shifting.

According to the Coolcats site, problems with the TV can "destroy" a transmission.

Does this sound like a TV problem? How destroyed is destroyed? Repair? Replace? Rebuild?

Thanks,

TW

Adjust the cable; you've nothing to loose at this point. Do you have a Haynes manual? See page 7B-2 for instructions.
If not, post back and I'll see if I can summarize it.

Back