blower problem?

flewbyu

I have not driven my car in 8 years before i parked it. it started to run funny.
as soon as the boost would come up it would lose power make a strange sound and buck until the rpms came back down.

I belive i was focusing on the blower itself? headgasket??

Head gaskets aren't the only thing that can go wrong with these cars. For the average SC that isn't beat on, they can go a long time.

Do the basics - check the oil in the blower; check the air filter; check the fuel; check the battery and any connections and grounds you can reach easily. Change filters and expect to have to deal with a long list of electrical issues if you decide to put the vehicle on the road again. Is the engine torn down now? How far?

Good luck!

Ken

Last edited:
With a bucking problem it's usually the plug wires or plugs change them both then see how it runs. as for the strange sound did it sound like a dying moose? if so then that could be the idle air control valve but that would make noise usually when you let off the throttle.

I don't think it is the IAC. I agree with the other guys about plugs. Try the plug and/or wire swap first. How many miles are on the current setup?

The blower is off the car now. should i send it out and have it checked? how would i be able to know if theres a problem. I took the car apart for valve cover gaskets and plugs and wires theres about 85,000 on the car. What other things would you check and or replace being torn down this far?

I don't really know who would be able to check the blower for you. If you have it off the car, spin it by hand and see if it spins freely. There should be some resistance from the air that it moves, but no grinding or "sandy" feel. Also, some years have a spring-loaded coupler in the blower drive assembly, so some "springy" feel is ok when you rotate the pulley.

When my car was bucking it was due to a bad cam sensor. The blower sounds weird when it's bucking.

first whats the fuel's status

the bucking could be fix with, a nice set of plugs and wires

how about the oil

if you get water in the oil or antifreeze or have a nice trail of white smoke that might lead you to the head gaskets,
of coarse there are other clues as well, them are the in your face one's

Last edited:
With 85,000 on the car and it's torn down this far would you do head gaskets anyway?

I am thinking they might be fine but I wasnt exactly easy on this car back then.

The losing power thing after thinking about it some more. It felt like I was losing cylinders?

I want to replace and upgrade as much as possible while its torn down.

Thanks for everybodys input, this is making this rebuild alot more fun.

i really doubt u blew the headgaskets.

the hesitation and bucking is most likely bad spark plugs and/or wires, like everyone's mentioned. or a bad cam sensor. i suggest doing a standard tune-up. plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil, clean the lil sensors in the MAF.

how did the blower look ? as long as rotors spin freely, theres no play in the pulley and no fluid seeping out behind the pulley then its ok.

Update!

I finally got the car to the shop. Bad news the engines locked up, pulled the intake lots of moisture in the intake side.

This engine is comming all the way down.

What are some mods you guys could recomend as long as its coming all apart?

Were to get parts? engine Kit?

thanks Lance

I got all the gaskets I needed for a full rebuild at Autozone (may be slightly cheaper elsewhere, I doubt it, but I get the 'friends' discount there so...) Rod bearings also. I had to use NAPA for rings and main bearings. Had my machine shop do cam bearings.

May as well cam it at this point, eh? :D

I got all the gaskets I needed for a full rebuild at Autozone (may be slightly cheaper elsewhere, I doubt it, but I get the 'friends' discount there so...) Rod bearings also. I had to use NAPA for rings and main bearings. Had my machine shop do cam bearings.

May as well cam it at this point, eh? :D

Are you still gonna spray it? I don't miss racing at that altitude. I haven't had a chance to race here in PA yet but the car feels a lot stronger.

Sure am. :cool: I don't blame the spray for what happened, but I am going to be a bit more careful this time around with a window switch (with 1st gear lockout) and fuel pressure safety switch. It's still only a 50 shot.

And I know how much this altitude sucks, I bought a northstar Eldorado in Conneticut in winter and clocked a 5.7 0-60 time... up here it's more like 8-9 sec.

Back