How to get an s-spring???

mywhite89

Well, I called Ford yesterday to try to get one of these springs for my trac-loc since I am rebuilding my diff. The person couldn't figure it out. How do I go about getting this piece? I just had the guy look up a 97 F150 and he couldn't figure it out. A part number would be great.

Chris

Last edited:
I didn't read the whole article just now that I referenced in this link, but I think the part number can be found in there. If not, find a new parts man.

Edit: I believe the part number for the F-150 S-Spring is F3TZ-4214-A

Last edited:
they call it a preload spring in my book the number I have is 4214 but i know that's not a ford part number. give me a call if you want some help. mines about done just need to get plates for it.

they call it a preload spring in my book the number I have is 4214 but i know that's not a ford part number. give me a call if you want some help. mines about done just need to get plates for it.

Rob, If I get my transmission done by the weekend I could definitely use a hand. I should get all the poly rear bushings in today, so I'll get all those pressed in. Definitely a whole day job to put my pieces together, but I could get it back on the road with a little luck. I'll give you a ring this weekend,

Kurt, that part number was it, I got one coming from Ford.

I used 2 tools. A crescent wrench and a hammer. I used a crescent wrench because it is about as wide as a typical ruler yet thick and strong. Slid it through the middle section of the s-spring. While pushing down firmly and evenly from side to side on the wrench, with the middle of the wrench pushing on the spring against the gears, my buddy used a hefty sized hammer and gave the spring a couple solid taps and got it started. You wont hurt those gears, with a solid hit from a hammer the spring gives in and slides right down the sloped teeth of the gears. Its seems brutal and unconventional, but in this case it works very well. That spring didn't even scratch the gears, it slid right down past them and the job was done.

Sometimes it really is in your best interest to bust out the hammer.

Chris

i used a hydraulic press....people were hiding behind cabinets and walls and stuff.....it was scary. But I also got it to slide in....OH, also I used the alternate stacking method, so the stacks were taller than stock and i adjusted for as close to .005 backlash as possible so there was less room than there was when i took the stocker out.

I used 2 tools. A crescent wrench and a hammer. I used a crescent wrench because it is about as wide as a typical ruler yet thick and strong. Slid it through the middle section of the s-spring. While pushing down firmly and evenly from side to side on the wrench, with the middle of the wrench pushing on the spring against the gears, my buddy used a hefty sized hammer and gave the spring a couple solid taps and got it started. You wont hurt those gears, with a solid hit from a hammer the spring gives in and slides right down the sloped teeth of the gears. Its seems brutal and unconventional, but in this case it works very well. That spring didn't even scratch the gears, it slid right down past them and the job was done.

Sometimes it really is in your best interest to bust out the hammer.

Chris

yep, used a big a$$ hammer myself....worked great!

Back