3/8 of an inch equals what size MAF

f1rocco

Picked up a junkyard maf and two sample tubes $15...Came out of a 96 4.6litre t bird...F4SF-12B579-AA is the plug number......Ive read all the does and donts and plain and simple just buy and aftermarket 73mm or a 76mm........Just was bored today and killed time at a Junkyard.. I cut the bridge out of it and polished it up......Ill buy the good stuff soon...Just killin time

Thanks

F1

Not exactly sure what you mean sample tubes..However people have use dteh modded MAF successfully..The bridge is there to smooth out airflow and give better low end resolution..Me Ill just get the goodstuff :O)

Useless info but I searched for a few hours all over the place....I know I need to get a job...lol

It looks like the 94-95 LX 4.6 Maf air might be a 70mm....It has one digit ending different then the 93 Cobra Maf....Probably means nothing but they appear to look quite the same...But different mounting and such....

When at the junk yard I took this maf off and matched it to a 91 or 92 3.8 LX and it had the same connections and fit both the air box and intake tube.....

Not much is really out there on these 94-95 lx except a few post stating use the same electronics that you currently have on your SCz with these....

What is interesting is how much air they should allow through vs. the 93z screened maf...Those looked to be a third blocked...Seems like the sample tube and hole should still read the same volume being pushed...But with the 94-95 LX it should allow more to the throttle body..........So for sure the throttle body inlet size is the bottle neck........

F1

Last edited:
I get the feeling that no one has really proved that that screen actually caused a restriction. From what I've been reading, the screen was put in to make the flow of air more laminar to the sensor because of the way the air box was designed.

I actually set the screen up on my 76mm C&L when I first installed it and tuned my car. Later I removed the screen and I immediately had to retune my MAF transfer function to correct the rich condition I ended up with. I know the screen caused the difference because it was the only thing that changed.

Frit

These appear to be both 70mm I believe....One is the normal 3.8 and SC 3.8 and the other is the 94-95 4.6....

Attachments

• c4_1_b.jpg
    c4_1_b.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 39
  • 70maf.jpg
    70maf.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 43
These appear to be both 70mm I believe....One is the normal 3.8 and SC 3.8 and the other is the 94-95 4.6....

The one on the left is the 55mm used in the older cars. The one on the right looks like the so called better 70mm that flowed a HUGE 50cfm more.

Frit

Back