Cheap power for 5 min of work, Shoot out anyone?

Rpdboss

I work for a meat company that has a 12 ton Co2 tank which dispenses powderized co2 instead of the block form. There is also a portable hose and wand for flash freezing meat. So during my lunch break I cut some cardboard to temporarly box in my intercooler as well as the supercharger. Then pulled the bird into the dock to use the C02 wand to spray the IC which worked well as the wand has a 90' tip to fill the fins full of "snow". Then also covered the supercharger with "snow" till it was cold enough to have frozen ice cystals standing straight up:eek:
When i took it for a ride it had plenty of pull and posted its best boost with stock 94 pulleys and the sound ports filled; +15 psi (in pic) which i have never seen before. Colder air has less volume, Psi shoulg have gone down not up I believe. On a side note i noticed the tranny stayed in neutral from a downshift from 4th to 2nd and redlined for 2 secs, mayeb too much power or frozen tranny fluid as the plate cooler is on the side the dry ice was on?
I would like to know if I can bring a 300lb tank of co2 with the wand to Kilcare for the shoot out. Offer people a freeze job for like $10? Would need to open the stock bellow top bolts to fill the fins and the void for those who are stock. For those with FMIC I'd need some good access to it with some quad thick cardboard between the radiators to protect the coolant from freezing while snowing. Not sure if you meth heads would get your spray frozen inside the IC:p? well give me some feedback and I'll see what I can do
My hope is to give our cars a boost into some lower numbers and maybe a few into the 9's:eek:

Attachments

• P080404007 (Medium).jpg
    P080404007 (Medium).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 282
  • P080404005 (Medium).jpg
    P080404005 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 231
  • P080404003 (Medium).jpg
    P080404003 (Medium).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 265
  • P080404008 (Medium).jpg
    P080404008 (Medium).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 252
  • P080404001 (Medium).jpg
    P080404001 (Medium).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
You say 9's

We use dry ice on my double IC before each pass get it nice and frosty. We ran 9.989et and after updating trans ran a 9.520et. I now have a new ARE Performance Liquid to Air IC and other powerful updates but nice idea you have here. It may give some of the others good info towards there projects

Last edited:
Not sure Id trust the temps of that sprayer directly on the I/C or the rad...Maybe crack the I/C....Freeze the tranny causing the pump seal to blow...Rads are just thin brass for the most part...I probably would have tried it myself though...

What temp does that thing spray at......

F1

Sprays at -109 beow Zero!!

With some more practice and thinking I'll try to find and insulative material to shield the engine radiator from the freezing CO2 gas as its being sprayed on/into the IC. Perhaps 2 layers of quad thick cardboard as a backer between the front mount IC's and the rad, then when the IC is filled remove it. The large upside down funnel like device we put above pallete sized boxes doenst crack as its made of crappy grade aluminum, but our IC dont have alot of flex/shrink to them.
One concern is to sample what our super charger fluid looks like in a topless pop can surounded by dryice powder. Would it be too thick to lubricate and also but a bigger drag on the belts? I slide the cardboard "walls" between the SC and the fuel rail injectors and filled in the voids at the back of the sc for the intake and output plemiums.
Deffinately agree that the engine other parts should be outside temps before spraying with CO2 or at least start with small increasing bursts for a gradual temp decrease.

I don't know about a "freeze job", but I'll take one of those custom cardboard and duct tape "barriers". LMAO....anything for a couple extra ponies.

I was thinking of bringing a Co2 fire extinguisher to the track and hitting the IC with that for a run or two. It would be a good idea to let it cool down to ambient temps first.

How about a fogger system that blows across the intercooler. Kind of like a nitrous injection, just kicks on a WOT. Blows across the intercooler at a controlled rate. Maybe 4 injector nozzles, one from each angle.

I would think on a all welded alum IC it would be ok. On a stock core IC for the Thunderbird the epoxied tubes at the end plates would likely start leaking or leaking worse due to the extreme diffrences in heat and cold. Just an observation

Ken

Frosty

:eek: Heres some pics of the CO2 dispensor for the forklift snow machine. It makes pallete sized containers of "snow" 3 feet high. Notice the frosting on the stainless steel hose and nozzle also the collector lid / funnel thingy i mentioned before:rolleyes:

Attachments

• P080408001.jpg
    P080408001.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 140
  • P080408002.jpg
    P080408002.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 130
i know this is a somewhat older thread but my friend put a cry02 kit on his turboed audi with a front mount and he says he can fel the difference?? I was thinkin of getting it for my ic but its like 300 bux for the kit

When i took it for a ride it had plenty of pull and posted its best boost with stock 94 pulleys and the sound ports filled; +15 psi (in pic) which i have never seen before. Colder air has less volume, Psi shoulg have gone down not up I believe.

Actually you have it backwards - cold air is MORE dense, therefore has more volume. This is why everyone wants cold air, because it is "thicker" and the more air, the more fuel, and the more HP... Thats why cars have better response in the winter vs. the summer

Actually you have it backwards - cold air is MORE dense, therefore has more volume. This is why everyone wants cold air, because it is "thicker" and the more air, the more fuel, and the more HP... Thats why cars have better response in the winter vs. the summer
Actually, you both are confusing things. Technically, cold air is more dense, and therefore has more oxygen (and other elemets) than the same volume of warmer air.

Actually, that's not true either. Higher densities are better explained as air molecules becoming more compact in the drop of temperature. Having said that, the volume of air decreases. However, the higher the density of air, the more air will enter a cylinder. Thick air molecules restrict each other in an intake system. Think of dense air as condensed air and not as "thick" air.

Actually you are all wrong. Ok not really.

It's easier if you think about it the other way. When air is heated, it expands. We all know this. Producing high HP is a matter of filling your combustion chamber with as much air as possible. Which is why forced air equipment even exists...like our superchargers. If you cram more air into the combustion chambers, you have the potential to make more power.

So if hot air expands, you cannot fit as much into a fixed volume like our intakes, intercooler tubes, IC's, etc... When air cools, it becomes more dense and suddenly you have some voids inside all of this ducting to fit a little bit more air. Using a CO2 cooler on your IC, tubing, and supercharger just aids in the cooling of the inside air...allowing a little more in.

IF you want to take this to an extreme...why not inject some kind of cool liquid or gas into your airstream. Like say...snow injection? As that liquidy shot of methanol mix enters the airstream it evaporates and cools the aircharge (allowing it to compact so even more air can get packed in). Or you can inject a gas like N20 which has a cooling effect on it's own.....and then when those N20 molecules hit your combustion chamber they split (2 nitrogen and 1 big power adding oxygen molecule just appear out of thin air)

After tinkering with CO2 a little bit, I just decided the N20 technology and cost can offer the same results per dollar....only you'll have the option to increase your power level if you want. If you jetted a N20 kit at 25HP or so...you'll match or surpass the best C02 kit.

As to the topic of the original poster....If you had a C02 tank there, I think people would use it. But probably not at $10 a shot. A good ole bag of ice still does a good job and if you have time on your hands in the pits, I think people would rather do that. But, ice is like $1.50/bag and people usually use 2 or 3 (and run out throughout the day). So maybe at $5.00 a shot people would take you up on it. Especially if they are hot lapping their cars and you can shoot their ac up by the staging lanes. Of course the chances of a hood flying open midway down the track will go up exponentially :)

There is such a thing as going too far. You do know that your ACT's are a factor which determines what fuel table your car is running from. It also affects your accel enrichment functions as well, which means the colder the air the more fuel is pumped in (ie rich) for acceleration.

Also, if the ACT's are low enough, the car will run from what is called the base fuel table, which means for the 89-90 cars an AFR of about 10.9 and won't go into the managed fuel table where the commanded leaner AFR's are.. now go into the 91-93 cars and the commanded AFR will be at 10.6 instead of the 11's. There's alot of factors that are based on ACT's as well that affect fuel and spark.

Cool everything down too much and you will lose power.

Thats why it would be better to find away that will keep the ACT's at around say 70F for an entire run.

Frit

Are you sure that even with a 10.6-10.9 a/f ratio you wouldn't make more power with more air and timing?

However, the higher the density of air, the more air will enter a cylinder.

The volume of the cylinder is constant, therefore the volume of air doesn't change. There are more molecules though :D

So you could say "However, the higher the density of air, the more oxygen will enter a cylinder."

Not trying to pick on you, just being my over-analytical engineering self.

Back