PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed transmission

90blkbrd
04-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I've decided to pick up a used transmission for a spare.

What would one look for when looking at a 5-speed not in a car?
Is there certain things to look for?

darkstar_one
04-05-2008, 02:16 AM
its real hard to say, it might shift find when out of a vehicle, but when things start to rotate with the engine, the gremlins start to come out. Depending on how it was used, the synchros might be trashed, grinding gears...

DougD
04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I've been wanting to buy a good used 5-speed but can't quite pull the trigger, despite a few being out there. I bought what was supposed to be a "good" used motor and got burned. I've decided to just get mine rebuilt.

Unless you really know the person selling it, or can try it for yourself in the car before it is pulled, I'd have to play it safe and assume that any used M5R2 needs synchros and/or overhaul.....but that might be what you're looking for in a "spare" transmission.

As far as a "field inspection" of an already-pulled used trans goes I'm not sure what you'd look for, other than that it rotates and shifts. Beyond that you'd have to do a partial tear down, I'd think, to tell anything more.

Someone out there (someone here in this club, probably) who is good at repairing these could probably find a good little "niche market" by offering a rebuild service or even offering overhauled units for sale on an exchange basis. Sorta like Paul Protos does with the JBL radios. Speaking just for myself, of course, but I'd prefer paying a trusted club member who is really interested in his work rather than a stranger at the corner transmission shop. Just a thought.

Cheers
DD

Mike Puckett
04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Put it in neutral and unbolt and remove the top cover. Spin the shafts and look at the gears to make sure there is no visible wear or metal bits in the fluid between the teeth. Look at each blocker and check that it is fairly tight. If it is sort of dangly and real loose the fiber backing is worn off. When you press each blocker up against the gear the brass ring should not snug completely up against the gear's surface. It should have a gap from the fiber backing. The surface is like a cone that tapers down into the blocker and the backing grips this cone so the slider can engage the gear without slipping and crunching. On the synchro side the little teeth on the slider and hub should be prominent and not worn down or have a shiny spot on each one. The gears number from 1st to 4th from back to front. The front synchro assembly couples the input and output shafts together for 4th gear. The front shaft can wiggle from side to side a little but should have no end play at all. Check that the bearings roll smoothly. It's normal for the magnetic drain plug to have fuzz or sludge on it but not bits. You can't get to 5th/rev without removing the tail housing but you can see it. Visually inspect what you can see. You can put a pipe extension on it's shift arm and shift it back and forth and spin the input shaft to check that. Use a little silicone to reseal the top cover. That should about cover it.

90blkbrd
04-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Perfect timing. Going to look at it soon.