Removing steering pulley w/ messed up hub....

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I'm trying to remove a PS pulley that originally had a messed up hub...once I tried removing the pulley with the steering puller it finished messing up the hub..so now Im left wondering...what other ways are there to remove this thing? Any thoughts appreciated...thanks!

I wouldn't try it any other way. If you pull on the rim, you may just break the pulley. How about welding a nut or a metal ring to the central hub and pulling on that? That should be cheap even if you have to have someone do it for you.

The only way I know is to screw a bolt in the shaft,support the pulley and heat the hub part of the pulley gently then drive the bolt and the pump shaft out of the pulley.Too much heat will ruin the pumps front seal and this will probably destroy the pulley, plan on buying a new pulley at the very least.

It's now a given that the pump assembly will need to be removed from the car. After removal, you can try a few things things:

1) Cut away the pulley with a die grinder, then carefully slit the hub and pop it apart with a chisel. You want to cut through as much of the hub as possible without getting into the pump shaft. And, be carefull banging on the hub so that you don't damage the shaft/bearings/seals.

2) Cut away the pulley as above, then heat the hub to expand it and pry it off, or use a 3-jaw puller. You can also drill holes in some of the remaining pulley, and use a piece of all-thread and nuts to pull on. You'll need to be careful not to over heat the hub/shaft and ruin the seals.

3) Place the pump assembly in a hydraulic press, support the back side of the pulley with some steel straps, etc. then press down on the shaft. This is actually pressing the pump off of the pulley.

That's all that I can think of right now...

JD

wow....any other suggestions? None of these sound convenient since the car is not running so I cant take it to get something welded on...and I have like zero time to remove the entire steering bracket and 'work' on getting the pulley out.

Any other thoughts? I really dont care about the pulley....i have like 3 or 4 somewhere around here...could i just take a grinder and cut the beyotch and stretch it over the shaft?

Cut it off with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder. I don't there is going to be an easy way to do it.

I pressed one on backwards by accident years ago. I then took five minutes and cut it off with a die grinder and replaced it with a new one. Not as hard as it sounds....

Back