Ford Truck Problem *PLEASE HELP*

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Im trying to help my dad get his truck going again..

Here is what it is:

99 f150 4x4 4.6/auto

Here is the problem:

A few weeks ago he had it up in the woods cutting firewood went to start it and nothing happens! Well i tell him to jump the starter silanoid(i cant remember spelling here! err) Anyway when jumping it the truck fires right up no problem! well he drives it back down to the house and discovers he CANT get it out of 4-low! well after talking to a couple people he replaces the Transmission RAnge sensor (i believe thats what it was called) still no start and no way to get it out of 4-low! I suggest a new ignition switch still no fix! Well if you jump 12 volts to the silanoid on the S wire it cranks so it seems to be somthing between the keyswitch and there? Need to figure this one out as he cant even drive it to somone to get it looked at since its stuck in 4-low. Is there another type of sensor in the collum that tells the computer what gear the truck is in? I have noticed that the shifter is a bit sloppy.

Any help on this would be greatly appreceated as it has me stumped.

I can't give you details since I'm not a Ford truck guy, but it sounds like you are on the right track with looking at the switches for the shifter. There is a safety switch so that you can't start an auto out of park/neutral; by jumping the solenoid, you get around that. Since it's stuck in gear too, maybe the cable came off the shift lever?

Vince

The truck is not stuck in gear. it changes gears fine..... Is there a neutral safety switch in the collum?? the range sensor on the transmission has been replaced...

No idea where the NSS is... Google can probably help though :cool:

Sorry, I misread the part about it being stuck in gear/4L... A trick someone told me for coaxing that era of Ford out of 4L is: Start the engine, put the trans in neutral. Put the range selector to 4L and then back to 2H. This has worked for me on occasion. In your case, I don't know if a buggered up NSS will prevent it from coming out of 4L or not, but it may since it thinks the trans is in gear.

Vince

The range selector switch is the NSS. Does this have the auto locking hubs? Maybe a fuse. You also may have a switch for the transfer case that tells what gear your in. Try unplugging it and see what happens. Have you tried shifting it with the engine off and rocking the truck? Have you been under to see if maybe something got snagged while off road. Just some ideas.

All the fuses are good.. nothing looks snagged.. As i said it was in 4-lo when he turned it off and then it wouldnt start anymore with the key.. You always had to put it in neautral to get it out of 4-low before.. hmm... as i said not only is it stuck in 4-lo it won't start unless you jump the solenoid

is this the pushbuttonfor 4x4 or shifter n floor,if push button is a noter on back of transfer case,could have snaged a stick and pulled out plugin or the moter layed a egg .

There is a ford trucks usenet newsgroup that might have someone that can answer this better:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.trucks.ford/topics

Truck will start and run if jump started. That means the ignition switch is working somewhat in that RUN functions. Just something blocking Start.

4 Low typically will not switch in or out unless stopped and in neutral. Since you have No start issues, as well as not shifting out of 4 low, I would look at whatever it is on the truck that tells the system that you are in neutral and/or park. As whatever it is, doesn't seem to be working.

Thats what i thought the range sensor does?? is there somthing else in the collum that tells if the truck is in neatral or not?

Since the range selector switch has been replaced---start chasing the wires coming off it ---got to be in the circuit that senses neutral position --either that or the antilock brakes are thinking the vehicle is still moving---Dan

Back