Another trans question...

1990XR7SC

Yeah i know you guys prolly are sick of me asking bout trannys for this car. But i have found one trans for this car but its far for me to go pick it up. So my questions are i have seen on here that the 5.0 tbirds driveshafts are the same length as our 3.8 sc's. Now i have laying atound a AOD out of a '86 Tbird 5.0. Now does the tailshaft splines line up for our AOD's Vs. the 5.0 AOD's? If so then that would sugest that we have the same casing for the trans minus the heav duty guts. Im just looking for something for now till i can actually rebuild the tranny that is in there now. Also who has used the B&M Shift improver kits? I know Trans Go would be better but also i am working with a very tigt budget. So i have very little room for margine here. But input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
John

I haven't messed with a AOD that old but my understanding is they are pretty much the same ---it may or may not have a 3-4 accumulator that softens that shift up but other than that I think the major difference is the apply servo for the overdrive is a bit smaller so it has a little less clamping force on the overdrive band---I would say that as long as you don't do a bunch of full throttle 4th gears it will probably get you to work and back for quite a while if its in good shape now.
As far as the shift kit goes I would go Trans-go or none plus I would only do a trans-go on a fresh or real low mileage tranny---and never use a shift kit to try to compensate for a sluggish shifting tranny---the sluggishness means there is excess clearance in the clutch packs or the pump pressure is low and a shift kit is going to make that worse fast.................Dan

Last edited:
well the only reason why i have a tranny that old is because i was doing a swap on my 84 Cougar and saw how mutch rust was on the car and also it needed a new core support. Thats why i bought the 90 XR7. But my biggest thing is is the case the same and is the spline on the tailshaft the same as our AOD's. But i prolly will try to use it but i want to be sure it will work. and yes thats all i need it for is to get to work and back till mine is rebuilt. And yes i plan on building it alot stronger with the bigger 2" od band.

Yes, the case is the same. The only one that is not the same is the lincoln towncars had a longer output shaft, but even those would still work with a shorter driveshaft. If this is just temporary, then go ahead and swap it in. Don't count on that trans lasting too long behind your SC motor though, since it wasn't anywhere near as strong. You will probably get about a year out of it.

Back