1995 Alternator Advise

rickbtbird

I'm looking for some advise on a replacement alternator. When I measure the voltage under load, mine is at 12.5 volts. I guess this means the alternator is dead. The unit is less then two years old, P-O-C.

Why I don't get an alternator light on the dash is wierd too.

My information says that the 95 came with a 130 amp alternator.
My parts search list either a 110 or 130 amp version for the 95SC. Since I'm looking for the 95 SC I confussed why it says both.

Anyway. I have a choice of two, Bosch New or Reman or Motor Craft reman. Both are 130 amp.

I installed a 6g alternator on my 94SC. You can find them on ebay and fit just lovely. They are rated at 130amp although I have been told that is a peak value an d110 is its real rating

These are teh latest and greatest Ford Offerings...Mine been working out great thus far

It also looks much closer to stock then the 3G older upgrade

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=6g+alternator&category0=

For under 100 bucks your done..Fit is excellant..

I installed a 6g alternator on my 94SC. You can find them on ebay and fit just lovely. They are rated at 130amp although I have been told that is a peak value an d110 is its real rating

These are teh latest and greatest Ford Offerings...Mine been working out great thus far

It also looks much closer to stock then the 3G older upgrade

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=6g+alternator&category0=

For under 100 bucks your done..Fit is excellant..

the only one I find on your link that's 130amp is for a Mustang. Are you saying that this will fit our cars too?

Yes all upgraded alternators for our cars are mustang alternators so to speak.

Rebuilding your factory one will cost you more and is not a cheap fix

The 6G Alternator came in today and I installed it. It's not a 100% direct fit but it does work. After a couple of slight modifications I had it running. It outputs 14.5 volts at idle and slightly higher with a load on it.

Modifications were:
  • I had to use the spacer off of the old alernator to accomidate the underdrive alternator pulley.
  • The upper IC bracket had to take a mild grind so it wouldn't rub againest the underdrive pulley or the belt.
  • The three wire connector on the top of the alternator had to be cut off and and spliced the yellow and green together with the yellow and green to the new (provided) connector pigtail.
  • The upper bolt hole wasn't threaded so I had to use a nut and a blot with spacers to get it snug.
  • The main alternator wire had to be moved to a location behind and slightly towards the top of the coil. It only left a about a 1/4 inch of space between it and the coil.

Thanks for letting us know the mods to make it work. Doesnt seem so bad.

What is the texture and or coating on it. Will it corrode like the stock one does.?

The 6G Alternator came in today and I installed it. It's not a 100% direct fit but it does work. After a couple of slight modifications I had it running. It outputs 14.5 volts at idle and slightly higher with a load on it.

Modifications were:
  • I had to use the spacer off of the old alernator to accomidate the underdrive alternator pulley.
  • The upper IC bracket had to take a mild grind so it wouldn't rub againest the underdrive pulley or the belt.
  • The three wire connector on the top of the alternator had to be cut off and and spliced the yellow and green together with the yellow and green to the new (provided) connector pigtail.
  • The upper bolt hole wasn't threaded so I had to use a nut and a blot with spacers to get it snug.
  • The main alternator wire had to be moved to a location behind and slightly towards the top of the coil. It only left a about a 1/4 inch of space between it and the coil.

Any pics of the install?

i had to replace the alt. in my S/C recently also. other than realizing that there was a third bolt hiding behind the coil-pack, it was an easy R&R. took it to a local parts place to have it tested (11.5V) and $85 later, i was puttin it back together. shop around, you should be able to get the alt. cheaper than 100.

the correct oe size alt is 110 right, my cousins alt is bad also and it looks fairly new, he called napa and they said if it has a plastic connector its only 65 amps?? I thought it was at least 110 maybe 130?!?

The one I got was coated an dstil looks brand new..Let me compare my notes to Ricks

6G Alternator came in today and I installed it. It's not a 100% direct fit but it does work. After a couple of slight modifications I had it running. It outputs 14.5 volts at idle and slightly higher with a load on it.

I had to use the spacer off of the old alernator to accomidate the underdrive alternator pulley.

I didnt need to use a spacer with mine.

The upper IC bracket had to take a mild grind so it wouldn't rub againest the underdrive pulley or the belt.

This you will have to do with the UD pulleys as the alternator pulley is larger. On a stock pulley application you wont have this issue

The three wire connector on the top of the alternator had to be cut off and and spliced the yellow and green together with the yellow and green to the new (provided) connector pigtail.

yup

The upper bolt hole wasn't threaded so I had to use a nut and a blot with spacers to get it snug.

Mine was threaded

The main alternator wire had to be moved to a location behind and slightly towards the top of the coil. It only left a about a 1/4 inch of space between it and the coil.

I reclocked my alternator for better wire positioning. Basically I spun it around a bit after taking out the bolts that hold the case halves together. I could have attached it as is but it was tight.

the correct oe size alt is 110 right, my cousins alt is bad also and it looks fairly new, he called napa and they said if it has a plastic connector its only 65 amps?? I thought it was at least 110 maybe 130?!?

Well we went to autozone, and the guy was looking for the ground for the alt, there wasnt one so he grounded the alt. to one of its screws and it was failing and they also verified it was a 110 like i thought, the guy at napa was probably looking at the price for a n/a t-bird

Notes on my Install

Modifications were:
    Alternator comes w/ 6 rib pulley - had to swap to stock 8 rib...mine is sticking out a shade further than stock, so on test run going to make sure I don't throw a belt.

Once again works fine with Stock Pulley

Same deal - See below pitcures

Again same deal, mine wasn't threaded either.

The ground wire is located at the top of the new alternator rather than the bottom, so you have to clock the wires a little...it makes it snug but everything works (see photos)

Here are the pictures of the unit prior to install...I will post some of the installed unit once its completed.

DSCN0848.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

-Tim

WHat I like best is that its compact compared to a 3G. If you do have UD pulleys the larger alternator pulley will rub the IC tube to IC collar. WIll need to grind that down a bit as had been said. I also reclocked the housing to put he wires in a better position. No charging issues whatsoever but I dont have a system

Back