ARP Head Studs

garsc

When installing the head studs other than cleaning out the threads in the block is any sealer or Locktite needed or recomended on the threads that go in the block? What do you engine guys do?

ARP moly lube is recommended, 30 weight oil will work. As far as sealants, I don't believe we need them but can't remember.

I think all I used was 30 weight.

you will need liquid teflon thread sealer for the lower short studs in the block and use moly lube for the uppers.

Moly lube is only beneficial when put on the fastener side of the threads; ie, the threads the NUT threads onto the stud, and the washer.

If the studs screw into the block as is, you don't need to chase the threads. It's far more important for head bolts since the stretch of the bolt occurs in the threads of the block. For head studs, the threads in the block only hold the stud. Stretch occurs in the nut.

I was going to use moly lube on the nuts and washers. Just didnt know about the block side. Going to chase the threads to clean out the holes to be sure the studs go all the way in.

you will need liquid teflon thread sealer for the lower short studs in the block and use moly lube for the uppers.

I couldn't see any evidence of need for a sealer in those lower bolt holes. Is the recommendation simply to keep gunk from filling up the threads?

I was going to use moly lube on the nuts and washers. Just didnt know about the block side. Going to chase the threads to clean out the holes to be sure the studs go all the way in.

The last guy that "chased the threads" used the wrong size tap and stripped the threads in the block. Every time you remove a bolt or chase threads, you damage them. Run the studs down and if they bottom out, no need to mess with the threads.

If you do need to clean them due to corrosion, make sure you use a piece with the right thread pitch. If there is crap in the bottom, a chase will not remove it but could get bound up on it and wreck the threads.

Lubricant is not required for the block side but a product the prevents rust or corrosion will help keep both the block and stud threads in tact.

I actually make my own tool to chase the threads out of an old head bolt. I cut a slot up the threads of an old head bolt with a thin cut off wheel in my dremel tool kit. Done this before and never had a problem with damaging the threads.An old mechanic(older than me ) taught me that trick.

your right on track, i used the same method
a lube or sealer isn't required on the block side
maybe think about replacing the manifold bolts -intake-

Last edited:
your right on track, i used the same method
a lube or sealer isn't required on the block side
maybe think about replacing the manifold bolts -intake-

Thats what i thought,as far as the intake bolts are I plan to clean out the threads and use the old bolts with RVT around the water ports and antisieze where needed.

Back