Pep boys brake qoute and scratch.

89tird

went to pep boys to have them check my brakes ( they lock when i step on them too hard ) gave the car to them and the guy ran into the locker when he was parking it, his excuse was that the brake and accelerator are too close togheter, has hapenned to me before though. small scratch on bumper.

anyways they say that my brake pump is bad $69 for pump $60 installation minus $20 off for the scratch.

could it be something else besides the pump ?

$20 for a scratch? Apparently the folks at Pep Boys haven't priced paintwork recently. They should pay to have the scratch repaired. To damage a customer's car and not fix it is completely ridiculous. The pedals are in a standard layout, and any guy working at any shop should at least have the ability to safely lot drive any car without damaging it. I would be more than a little angry with them if it were my car. My $.02.

Sorry - I'll get off my soapbox now.

Brake pump? On an 89 SC? I don't know where this estimate is coming from, but I don't think there are any brake parts on an 89 SC that you can but for $69 dollars. You have ABS, right?

I would never take a 19 year old car to Pep Boys for anything.....:p

Do you still have the standard ABS system on your car.....

If so, you should not be having a problem with locking up, unless your accumulator is not functioning as designed.....

Do you have a hard brake pedal and then a lock up?

Pep Boys doesn't know anything about SCs, much less their unique braking system.....:rolleyes:

What other symptoms are you having......

ya sucks but i dont want to sue them for a scratch

sry forgot to say that the car is 93 standard abs, no hard pedal, when i start it the pedal goes down more than halfway like no pressure. i have to start braking ahead of time, if i brake hard the wheels squeel and the car kind of jerks trying to stop.

they spent 4 hours with the car and couldnt even charge my a/c :rolleyes: something like it wont take freon.

i always do my own work but lately i just been busy supercharging the other car

So you have Teves Mark IV system as opposed to the Mark II System of the earlier SC's. Different animal entirely. Sorry I don't have better news for you but I am not as good on the later cars.

I do know you have a conventional master cylinder with the ABS Unit separate and located in the driver's side fender. Excessive pedal travel before the brakes attempt to engage could be as simple you needing to do a flushing and bleeding of the system. If nothing else you will get the chance to flush the system of the old "stuff" in it.

that's what i took it in for !!! to bleed the brakes but they said no way it was going to fix it , i dont know anything about these brakes though ?

does the same procedure for bleeding them apply ?or do i need a special tool ?

My understang is that as long as the system has not been drained you can bleed the brakes just like a conventional brake system. No need to have the key on though like for the early models. It isn't until a portion or all of the system is drained do you need the special tool used to make the ABS Pump run and all that jazz. But I would post a direct question on the board using a title that would clue those in that have 93 and up cars to jump in with their experiences. Your User Name tends to make people think you are talking about the Mark II System since that is what was on the 89-92 cars.

ya they feel normal just alot of travel.

there was smoke coming out from behind my steering wheel while i was driving today i couldnt see where from but it went away quick .. what could be smoking back there ??

ya smelled like an electrical, hopefully i will have time on the weekend :cool:.

everything seems to be working fine in there.

lol been mad at me since i got her damn money pit , well atleast it gets preety good gas mileage.

ill probably paint her too when i finish my vic

update

bled the system brakes a lot better now ( air in the system was the problem )! still have to change the rear pads.

are the cobra rotors same size as these ?

thanks all

Assuming you are speaking of a comparision between the stock OEM rotors for an SC and the Mustang Rotors????? No...neither the fronts or the rear Cobra rotors are the same size. Search the board on how to do the upgrade. Briefly you need 93 and up front spindles and Cobra front calipers for the front and caliper relocation brackets to reuse the SC calipers for the rear as well as the rotors themselves.

There is a less expensive upgrade too using Mark VII front rotors and I think calipers you can find info about.

Your car is mad at you right now because you took her to Pep Boys.......;)

yep thats probably the problem, if i take my car in the pepboys parking lot she hesitates and stalls, i have to push her out the parking lot before she'll fire up first time every time with the key :rolleyes:

Back