aod question

nascar john

gentlemen, i drove buick grand nationals for many years before switching to the blue oval. on the buicks we adjusted a cable for the transmission that was attached to the throttle assembly. this enabled us to adjust the crispness of the shifting. can we do it to these cars. it made a remarkable difference on the buicks.
thanks
john

Short answer - yes. It's called the Throttle Valve (TV) cable. You can pull it tighter for more line pressure, firmer shifts, holding lower gears longer.

Proper answer - Be careful with it. Too tight and too loose are both bad for your drivetrain. I think that too loose is worse than too tight, as the looser settings will cause the frictions to slip and wear out quickly. However, too tight could easily break things if you went too far. Per the Ford shop manual, there is a specified pressure that you want to obtain at the transmission test port with the engine running and a little tool (gauge block) mounted at the throttle body. From that point, it's up to you what you want to do with it.

The AOD has no computer control whatsoever, so the TV cable controls everything.

The short answer is I don't advise it.---I also have and still own a Buick and I can tell you that although they function similarly if you try that on the Aod you will soon be walking. --just my opinion---I honestly believe the TH2004r is a more forgiving transmission than the AOD but I think I like the AOD better for an everyday driver since the lockup in them is a better design than the small clutch in the torque converter that the TH2004R/th700R4 uses.................Dan

Last edited:
aod

question for s mazza. my cable exposed 4 grooves-i moved it out one click to 5. haven't driven it yet,but am i in the ballpark? pretty good for me since each of my eyes are 65 years old

pulling it out notch by notch will work.you also need to install a new groumet or drill and pin the cable to the lever to keep it from falling off and smokin the od band and direct clutches.just my 2 cents

Hmm, I really don't know. I think it could depend on too many factors to just call it by the number of grooves. (Has the cable stretched over time, etc.) What I did was to take all the slack out of it and just add a hint of tension to it. In my case, it made an immediate improvement, because I realized that the transmission shop had misadjusted it from the way it was holding on to OD until the car would almost stall. I really can't advise you on it with any certainty because I'm just not an expert on it.

If you can get a trans pressure gauge, here is the right way to do it:

http://www.becontrols.com/tech/tvlinkage.htm

And if you are feeling lucky, here is the "seat of your pants" way:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=466066

Back