94 SC What's this noise Video added

ELSC

Hey eveyone. I got a 94 SC automatic. Took the car out today and the car is making an odd noise. I think it's the tranny, but don't know. When I put the car in park after I've driven it, there's a noise that sound like a goose. More like a whoop. (It's hard to describe, sorry) The car will do it in drive only when I let off the gas. Tranny shifts fine, and there is no clunking noise. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
Prob is it can be anything and youll get 10-20 post telling you to check this and that......

What I do is get a big set of nuts and a buddy you trust.....Drive the car on ramps and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from...This requires you to lay underneath the car while running....Its also great to see what else has play while turning the wheel a tad and putting the car in gear with the brake on to see motor mount play/driveshaft play steering play...Joints etc....Dangerous yes but 1 time for 1 minute and you can see so many things going on....

F1

Rocco is right but a goose sound makes me think of a bad fan. I've seen many bad PC fans make a sound you describe however you seem to think it's transmission related so...

good luck

Last edited:
Usually if you hear the goose sound, its the diaphram in the idle control valve on the throttle body thats has developed a leak. If your idling in neutral, see if it will make the sound just goosing the throttle.

I haven't heard anyone having that with the transmission though. Also, the 94/95 sc's came with 4r70w transmissions, not the AODE's ;).

Frit

Thanks for the replies. Just thought it was related to tranny as I hear the noise when I put the car into park. Will check uner the hood first. Thanks again!
Brian

it could be a worn pressure regulator valve in the valve body. my 94 cougar mad the same noise.last i seen the car it had 250k on it with the same noise.just my 2 cents

it could be a worn pressure regulator valve in the valve body. my 94 cougar mad the same noise.last i seen the car it had 250k on it with the same noise.just my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply. Won't get to it until next week sometime.

Took the car out as the noise usually appears when the car warms up, pulled into the driveway set her in neutral and it does appear to be the IAC. I obviously need to get my hearing checked as I thought it was coming from under the car, but the noise is coming from the throttle body area. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll get to this today.

Replaced th IAC, and the noise is still there. I'm charging the batteries in my camera to take a video with sound. :mad:

Not sure.....

Only thing I can see.....Which is probably common with upgraded pulleys is that the water pump pulley looks awful close to the tensioner pulley.....Not sure if when the belts stretch if they start rubbing....

Dunno

Rocco

Sounds okay to me....by the way, that is a very clean engine compartment.

David

Thanks, 57,000 mi. and I purchased the car in February of this year. Once the car warms up and I drive around town when I letmy foot off the gas, theirs a goose noise (more like a woot). The car runs great, just a noise. I'll keep driving it(only weekend car) just annoying.

Do you notice any other issue besides the noise? is the noise happening when the throttle opens, or when it closes. Hard to tell in the video.

Doesn't sound odd, you may just be hearing noise through the intake system from the blower dumping air at the bypass. Make sure all of the connects at the blower tubes are sealed.

Do you notice any other issue besides the noise? is the noise happening when the throttle opens, or when it closes. Hard to tell in the video.

Doesn't sound odd, you may just be hearing noise through the intake system from the blower dumping air at the bypass. Make sure all of the connects at the blower tubes are sealed.

No othr issues, car runs great. Video isn't that good with the sound. The noise happens when the throttle closes.

here's a better video of what I am hearing
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i294.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid294.photobucket.com/albums/mm95/ELSC123/running001.flv">

i had a simaler noise it was a vac line sucking flat. check your vac lines. mine was the pcv to the intack hose was so soft it whould suck flat and wistle.

Back