Blower bearing side play

NH89SC

How much side play should there be if any on the rear supercharger bearings? Mine has a small amount. Is this normal? I notice the case has had contact with the rotors but not bad, is that typical? I dont want to rebuild it right now but if you guys think I should I will. Give me some input. thanks in advance.

How much side play should there be if any on the rear supercharger bearings? Mine has a small amount. Is this normal? I notice the case has had contact with the rotors but not bad, is that typical? I dont want to rebuild it right now but if you guys think I should I will. Give me some input. thanks in advance.

Your question

Yes its normal I set mine up at .05 on a stock blower with good miles on it you will notice some faint wear pattern with the case if its wore into the case than you need to rebuild it. Move your finger across the area and see if you feel a differiance (Note) You dont want more or less than .05 on a new or used blower

Last edited:
Your question

Yes its normal I set mine up at .05 on a stock blower with good miles on it you will notice some faint wear pattern with the case if its wore into the case than you need to rebuild it. Move your finger across the area and see if you feel a differiance (Note) You dont want more or less than .05 on a new or used blower

Not understanding this at all. The rear bearings are a set size and pressed in. How do you set a clearance. Also how are you measuring deflection on the rear bearings?

Ken

I'm wondering how you checked them, too. If you are in doubt about the rear bearings, you can replace just those and it's really cheap. I think I paid less than $20 for the bearings and about $25 for the press work at a local machine shop.

I weld in the holes on bad worn cases and re drill them ive found on hig milage blowers the bearing holestend to drop down pressed in yes but bad bearings lock up and spin in case some turn little by little for yrs

I can see that a bearing could spin in the bore. But the majority of Eaton blowers, at least all I have had my hands on are still pressed firmly in the case. So I still would like to know how you measure play in the bearing. Jims statement is he sets them up. How does one do that and measure the deflection. You can measure clearances between the case and the tip of the rotor but that is only at the outlet and I dont beleive that would translate in to rear bearing play. Im scratching my head on this one

Ken

I suppose that you could force the rotors downward by hand, then upward, check the rotor tip clearances on the inlet and outlet side each way, and take the difference.

What I want to know is there supposed to be some play in the rear case bearing, say moving the rotor up and down. Or is is supposed to be no noticibale play and is the case supposed to look like new on the wall or is light contact normal from the rotors to the case. I have this all back together but not on the car yet and I wanted to make sure I am ok before I F*** it up.

You shouldnt have any noticable play in the bearing. If the the rotor pack is not attached to the front of the case you might feel like there is play in the rotor, but that tells you nothing. If the case has a wear pattern that goes across the case than the bearing are likely shot and need replacing as well as the case. Scratches dont count unless they are really deep. Most blowers I have seen have some scratches caused most likely by the blower ingesting debre. Have no idea how Jim is setting bearing clearance.:rolleyes: Replace the bearings if you are concerned. They are cheap unless you have a M112 blower

Ken

What I want to know is there supposed to be some play in the rear case bearing, say moving the rotor up and down. Or is is supposed to be no noticibale play and is the case supposed to look like new on the wall or is light contact normal from the rotors to the case. I have this all back together but not on the car yet and I wanted to make sure I am ok before I F*** it up.

Your Question

To understand more

(You should have .05 ) This is moving the rotors forward in the case to front (Note) if you have play by moving the rotors up and down the bearing is shot should no movement in bearing. This is what I was talking about in first post

My high tech JDS M-90 tefflon strip rotor blower takes shims to get it at the correct .05 plus it has bigger bearings and special machined back plate. But for a stock M-90 it should be no more or less than .05

Your Question

To understand more

(You should have .05 ) This is moving the rotors forward in the case to front (Note) if you have play by moving the rotors up and down the bearing is shot should no movement in bearing. This is what I was talking about in first post

My high tech JDS M-90 tefflon strip rotor blower takes shims to get it at the correct .05 plus it has bigger bearings and special machined back plate. But for a stock M-90 it should be no more or less than .05

So you are talking about end play not bearing clearance? Do you actually shim for end play with teflon? I thought the teflon was for the edges of the rotors somehow.

Ken

So you are talking about end play not bearing clearance? Do you actually shim for end play with teflon? I thought the teflon was for the edges of the rotors somehow.

Ken

(Yes end play) but its done within the bearing housing back plate by using stanless steel shims. Tefflon is only used on the rotor blade edges mine is the same as the SSI rotors. I think here he is talking about up and down movement if so the bearings are shot there should be no movement

Last edited:
(Yes end play) but its done within the bearing housing back plate by using stanless steel shims. Tefflon is only used on the rotor blade edges mine is the same as the SSI rotors. I think here he is talking about up and down movement if so the bearings are shot there should be no movement

Good information. Thanks

Ken

Back