yet again another no start thread

tim-g

Ok most of you know I have been doing body work on my sc, it ran good when i got it but lately it would idle horible and take awhile to start. Now it wont start it stumbles and back fires when i stop turning it over:eek: been using the search button all day i tried unpluging the cps with no luck i have 38 psi at the rail switch out fuel filter hoping it was that with no luck. So does anybody have any ideas on where to start next? :lol:

Low battery power?
Ground issue?
the back fire could be due to fuel injected, but low spark energy where it eventually fires off once it gets sucked into the intake manifold.

Think of anything you may have mucked with when doing the work on the car.

Low battery power?
Ground issue?
the back fire could be due to fuel injected, but low spark energy where it eventually fires off once it gets sucked into the intake manifold.

Think of anything you may have mucked with when doing the work on the car.

I just noticed a ground strap on the passenger side that is just hanging there but i dont know where it straps to, I'm guessing somewhere on the motor i'll pick up a ground strap kit tomorrow to see if this fixes it.

I just noticed a ground strap on the passenger side that is just hanging there but i dont know where it straps to, I'm guessing somewhere on the motor i'll pick up a ground strap kit tomorrow to see if this fixes it.

Straps to motor mount.

regrounded the strap, threw in a new battery still the same. But now the solonoid just clicks, switch with another same thing now i think the cables are bad whats nexts:(

Check to see if any continuous codes are stored and also run a (KOEO) test, since you can't run a (KOER). It is possible there exists a PIP issue (profile ignition pickup) which can come from about 3 or 4 sources.

I just went out and tried starting it, it came to life stumbling and dies keeps doing that wont do much else had it running really ruff for about 20 seconds:confused:

Same problem here!

Your not alone bud:confused:
After putting mods on don't want to run, cranks over but have to fight to keep it running. It's like the computer don't want to relearn after sitting a while?Whats KEOR mean?Something with key on position?

Tom

List, please, thanks.

Ken

Crank sensor, PIP pinout on the the DIS, and the actual pinout on the EEC for PIP. There may be more, but this is all I know off the top of my head.

tim-g, it would help to know exactly what body work you did to the car.

You have to modify quite a bit for the engine to not want to run with base engine settings.

If all you did was body work, and the engine was running fine before, you have to just stand back and start with the basics. Check all cables that come from the battery. Make sure they are tight at their connections. Then check the alternator connections. Check the spark plug wires. Disconnect and reconnect each wire at the spark plug to make sure it has good connection. Do the same at the coil pack. Check the harness connector at the coil pack. Check the Harness connectors at the DIS. Check the connector at the CAM sensor, and the connector that goes along the water pump down to the crank sensor.

Get the motor so that the starter can crank it over good and easy. Then if the motor starts, but stumbles, play with the throttle while it is stumbling. If the motor turns over good, it will fire but stumble.. then check battery voltage while it is stumbling. If the alternator isn't working and doesn't bring voltage up around 12v, the ignition system may be struggling.

Also start checking the fuel pressure when it's struggling, and when cranking. Make sure you're seeing good pressure at the rail that isn't fluctuating.

Then finally you may want to pull the plugs and take a look. They could be fouled from all the attempts you have had and need to be dried out (if they are double platinum) or replaced (if copper).

Crank sensor, PIP pinout on the the DIS, and the actual pinout on the EEC for PIP. There may be more, but this is all I know off the top of my head.

tim-g, it would help to know exactly what body work you did to the car.

rocker panels, battery was disconnected and i drove it into my shed where it has sat for about 2 1/2 weeks.

I got a new starter put on, new gas, still no start wont even pop off only backfires when i'm done turning it over somtimes:(

Good news, i checked the plugs well they were soaked. I threw sum new plugs in it and it fired right up.:) now i hear rattleing in the exhaust i think i blew a hole in one of the cats.:p

Back