View Full Version : new toy couple questions

TwoToneThunder
04-10-2008, 08:59 PM
i just picked up a 1984 corvette really cheap so i couldnt pass on it

WOOOO 205 BHP yay
its a 350 with the 700r4

idk if anyone here knows this im going to search elsewhere on other forums

does anyone know what they called the 350 back in 84

i know its pre lt1 days and it might be post l88 days or whatever they called it

anyone have a clue what they called it?

its slower then poop my sc if it ever ran would whoop the snot out of it but its my ummmmmmmmm other toy

i think i might cruise down to the dayton meet with it since the sc is missing the engine right now hahah

id like to see what it does on a dyno before i start improving it

92sclikenew
04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
this is to funny lol like i said to you already lol should have just fixed the sc with that money lol......:eek:

throw some pics up on here....:eek::D:p:o

Hock
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
It should be the TPI 350.

Crappy Hp from the factory, but it least it had a good base to start off with IMO.

Theres all kinds of aftermarket stuff for those engines so you will have no problem getting a good bit of power out of it.

Good luck hunting!

XR7 Dave
04-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Ugh, the 84 was the crossfire injection junk. I don't think there is any hope for that one other than to ditch the whole motor and computer and start over. I hope you got it reaaaaallly cheap. :D Could have potential though.

92sclikenew
04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
It should be the TPI 350.

Crappy Hp from the factory, but it least it had a good base to start off with IMO.

Theres all kinds of aftermarket stuff for those engines so you will have no problem getting a good bit of power out of it.

Good luck hunting!

my friend has the tpi firebird and its pretty quick for stock...

TwoToneThunder
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
its decent in speed

but for a corvette its not very fast

yea dave i thought about ditching all that stuff

more then likely i will one day but its the new d.d for now since it gets about 10mpg better then my truck haha

Jacob_Royer
04-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Time for a crate motor.... A stock vtech accord would rape that thing.. Freind of mine had one and it was aweful.. They run like 11's/12's in the 1/8th mile (if they run right) get a good 4-bolt main block and build a 383 stroker or just buy a crate motor.. all chevy v8's and transmissions are compatible with each other.

BTW incase you didnt know by buying a vette you have officialy joined the 'small *****' club ! hehe

sorry i couldnt help myself.

TwoToneThunder
04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
id love to ditch the crossfire

BUT im having difficulty finding proper ways to do so

crate motor yes

but everything runs off electronics so if i did carb id have to run a computer to power all the power features it has

im looking into swapping a lt1 manifold and setup onto it

XxSlowpokexX
04-12-2008, 11:32 PM
ditching crossfire

Step one

Pull it off

STep two get a carb and intake

Step three do fuel system...Yahhhhhh Or just drive it as is

f1rocco
04-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Id look for a real short guy driving a Chevy diesel truck and see if he wants to buy it.....Might be able to double your money...

Rocco

Jim Demmitt Jr
04-13-2008, 02:19 AM
1984 Corvette

I know a guy that has one he bought some new Dart aluminum heads and Team G intake picked up a bunch from stock. He also installed headers and Borla exhaust

XxSlowpokexX
04-13-2008, 02:49 AM
http://www.swko.net/~lionsden/crossfire.htm

http://www.crossfireinjection.net/

http://www.x-ram.com/

b ut why !!

scbird1
04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Dont mess around with half baked motors. This one comes in two flavers
ZZ572/620 or ZZ572/720R deluxe. Were talking big block here. The last nubers are the HP:D

Just go to www.gmperformanceparts.com
for ten grand you can shut down almost anything on the street.

quicktsi
04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Flip it and use the money to fix the bird. That thing is going to eat you alive. You will pay a premium for everything, also known as the Corvette tax. I will predict the cross fire problems along with overheating issues. Seats on foam for my 91 C4 is 1K for 2 seats but I can outfit the entire SC for 600 hundred. A single door panel is 400 dollars.

TwoToneThunder
04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
quicktsi

what temp does your vette usually run at this one seems to like 186 degrees or so at a cruise

it goes down to 178 or so at a idle

as for oil pressure i see 48psi at idle and about 62-65 at a 45-50 mph cruise

oil temp seems a bit high need to check the sensor its running about 205 degrees oil temp

CEL is on at the moment but it does run really good i think it needs a tune up

quicktsi
04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
They typically run warm. The turn on temp for the fans is some ridiculously high number. The after market vendors offer a dif temp sensor for lower turn on. It has been over a year since I drove mine so I do not remember at what temps it was running. Does your CEL come on when you get up to highway speeds? Mine has a bad EGR flagging the CEL but it does not cause on driveability issues. My old 91 Formula had the same EGR issue causing the CEL.

I tore ours down to change the red interior to black but have had other things come up around the house.

Jacob_Royer
04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Should have bought a mustang gt...

Cheaper to buy
Cheaper to build
Faster To begin with
Better Gas milage
Ford product
Doesent make everyone think you have a small *****

MadMikeyL
04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Cheapest thing to do would be get a carb and intake. If you are using it as a daily driver, then the better thing to do would be a TPI350. You can pick these up pretty cheap, and while they aren't the best for power, they are a substantial improvement over the crossfire. Also, I believe the heads they used on the crossfire motors are complete garbage, and considering how cheap small block chevy heads are, a set of aluminum heads would help you out a lot.

TwoToneThunder
04-14-2008, 11:51 PM
im not a fan of mudstains

anyway the insurance for this thing is dirt cheap $350 for 6 months for me and im 20 years old

every mustang ive looked at is 1200+ for 6 months insurance

ill take the vette hands down everytime and build my sc up