electrical issue

VINCES

On my '94 SC, battery was pretty much dead, car had been sitting over winter, ran it a few times, charged battery with charger, then thougth there might be a drain/short. Noticed I had no flash to pass, nor cigarette lighter. Saw fuse blown-20 amp for those two items.

I replaced the multi-funtion switch with a used working one I had, replaced fuse, charged battery for about an hour. FUse doesn't blow, but no flash to pass, OR cig lighter now. When i try to start car, electrical goes out all together, then comes back on maybe after 15-30 seconds.

Any suggestions?

yeah, charger is back on and battery cables disconnected. Assuming there was something wrong with the multi switch, now that i replaced it and the 20 amp fuse doesn;t blow, why no flash to pass or cig lighter? FUnny, how the electrical resets itself in less than a minute, and i get all interior light, healights and radio after it all goes out from trying to start....

battery cables could be the problem with every thing going out. and around here pack rats like to chew wiring in cars just:rolleyes: siting just afew ideas

could be...is there some sort of 'reset' in the car that takes electrical system down, then has it come right back up again? I will run out and see what i have now...

my bad.....I put the new fuse in an 'empty.' when i put it in the right spot, it blew again. any suggestions on finding what's causing that?

Update

Ok, I left the chrger on all night, and it fired right up this morning....no gremlins....now i need to fiind the short I guess. Checked battery (cables off), pulliung 12+ volts not running, and 14.x running. Forgot to check battery with cables on and not running to see if there was a drain....i will have to do that after work...Of course, rain in forecast

if you have the actual lighterin the cigarette lighter take it out and see if there is any metal (a penny) in there, continue to leave it out as i have seen the lighter short out the circuit. That would be where is would start, an easy check.

YEah, it wasn't in since I bought the car. I only used it for a GPS last summer, since then nothing. I checked, no debris, only put lighter in to see if it worked...always leave it out in case i need to plug phone or something in...

Back