cat making noise

boss2553

Just got the car running it had been sitting close to a year.I have put around 100 miles on it. I got on the gas for the first time and it started to make some noise a bit after that. The inside of the drivers side cat is shaking inside like a dog trying to sh-t a peach seed. The exhaust manifold is not making noise and the pipe to manifold is tight, i probed it with a noise scope. Can you run a SC with no cats, will it effect anything on these cars. I am new to the SC world. What is the best and most thrifty way to replace them or just remove.
thank you Mike

Oh yes you can run without cats, if you can DIY, I did mine & it is cheap & easy to do & you will enjoy the results. Do a search on gut cats or cat removal & you will find all you need to know. You will need a welder metal saw & a lift or the top end of jack stands. keep us posted with pics.

Just got the car running it had been sitting close to a year.I have put around 100 miles on it. I got on the gas for the first time and it started to make some noise a bit after that. The inside of the drivers side cat is shaking inside like a dog trying to sh-t a peach seed. The exhaust manifold is not making noise and the pipe to manifold is tight, i probed it with a noise scope. Can you run a SC with no cats, will it effect anything on these cars. I am new to the SC world. What is the best and most thrifty way to replace them or just remove.
thank you Mike

(Note)

Performance when the cats start breaking loose inside it goes into the mufflers and mufflers cant bypass the material through. It in turn plugs up the mufflers to point thus effecting the performance due to increase in back pressure. It best to change the cats to high flow and replace the mufflers to after market high flow

True on the inspections,but your car my be old enough to not be subject to the emissions test. Again do a search on that, lots of people pass emissions with out cats.

wish that was true here in wash., havent checked lately, 25 yrs and older, dont have to test, last time i checked.
what a rip...but it might be possible to pass...

Last edited:
I have passed inspection for 5 years with cats that are actually no cats since the guts fell out of them long ago. Have replaced the rest of the exhaust system since the cat internals fell apart. No issues running the car with basically hollowed out cats.

(Note)

It best to change the cats to high flow and replace the mufflers to after market high flow

I actually have to agree with Jim. Its been proven that hipo cats cause very little restriction on the exhaust unless your running a straight race machine. It has also been proven that a gutted cat will hurt performance more so than a stock cat will. Also the advantage on our cars is managing that crappy V6 sound that we are stuck with.

Even if I don't have to do the emmissions tests anymore (have 1 more to do unless the rules change) I will keep running the cats for the sound control.

Frit

noise gone

cut the cats off and put in stright pipe, no codes and sound is not much louder. 90.00 local muffler shop

Back