Supercharger rotor question

DougD

Took the top of my (early style) blower for a look-see inside. I guess everything looks OK <shrug> but something caught my eye.....

The full length of each edge (or perhaps the "apex"?) of each rotor has small serrations. Is this normal and correct? For some reason I was expecting a perfect surface.

Thanks,
DD

Took the top of my (early style) blower for a look-see inside. I guess everything looks OK <shrug> but something caught my eye.....

The full length of each edge (or perhaps the "apex"?) of each rotor has small serrations. Is this normal and correct? For some reason I was expecting a perfect surface.

Thanks,
DD

Rotors

If you have serrations on the area your talking about its becouse of fine particals going through the blower and wear. They should be a smooth Surface I would update to a 95 blower

I dunno. Every rotorpack I have seen has had that. I wanna call it normal and/or normal wear. The best way to tell if it came from clearance issues or debris is to look at the inside of the case and see if there are corresponding serrations or grooves. I bet you don't see any.

Thanks for the replies, guys, but I'm in a bit of a quandry :).

I guess I'll ask a new question....

Do the serrations have any significance in the operation of the blower?

Cheers and thanks
DD

It's pretty normal in my opinion. As long as they aren't too deep. As the blower wears in from new, I think some light rotor-to-case contact is a given. That will wear a matching groove in the rotor top and the case wall. As long as the rotor rotation stays concentric and on the axis, the gap won't get any wider and you won't lose boost. If the bearings wear out and it starts to wobble, then it would enlarge the scratches, the clearances would get wider, and you would start losing boost. If you are making good boost now, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are in doubt about the bearings, rebuilds are pretty affordable. Embree Specialty Machine does it for like $300-400, and that includes ALL the bearings.

Kinda like when I went and bought new tires for my truck--they were slightly larger then stock and the shop manager brought it to my attention that at full lock turn it would rub a little on the inner fender wellls. My response to him: It will clearance itself....

Kinda like when I went and bought new tires for my truck--they were slightly larger then stock and the shop manager brought it to my attention that at full lock turn it would rub a little on the inner fender wellls. My response to him: It will clearance itself....

ha ha ha I get it !

they do they do

Back