will not start. Please help

derekhay316

The other day all of a sudden my car shut off while I was driving and now I cannot get it to start. When I try to start it now It turns over but does not start (couldn't be a battery problem). I checked one of the spark plug wires for spark and there's no spark at all. Any idea what this could be? Maybe a computer problem. Also lately when I floor the throttle in my car the car studders and jerks back and forth like the timing is off or something. Oh and I checked the fuel shut off switch and that's not it. Also now that I fiddled with the shut off switch, how can I make sure that thats not on now? Any help??? Thanks.

If, when you're cranking the engine, the up shift light stays lit, the crank sensor is the problem.

Sounds like you have experienced the infamous balancer failure. Check to see if the bolt is still present in the center of the balancer, or if it has sheared off. The balancer is probably cracked or sheared flush with the timing chain cover. This has most likely wiped out the crankshaft position sensor. The car will "turn over" when you try to crank it, but it won't fire. The constant "upshift light" (looks like an arrow) on the instrument panel during cranking is a sure sign.

I have broken (and replaced) three balancers prior to getting a BHJ unit.... Let me know if you need some pointers on repairing this. It's a nasty job (and can seem overwhelming) but you can do it "in the driveway" if you are moderately handy with tools.

My dad's mechanic just looked at it and hooked up his computer and he said its the distributor module. Does this sound right to you guys? Anyway I'm a couple 100 miles away from the car right now so I have no idea if the upshift light is coming on or not. What do you guys think?

Back