power question?

stempak

Not that the (stock)6cylinder makes enough power to light up the possi rearend and smoke the tires off the wheels mind you that's stock, But the weight of the vehicle it should have a blown smallblock. what would be the route to do a blown small block because these car's were offered with n/a small block. A blown small block would probably put the car to ludicris speed:D

the stock 6 cylinder makes about the same amount of tq as a (stock) bigblock

Last edited:
Stock torque rating I believe is 315ft-lbs. While that is a lot for a V6, it certainly isn't big-block level. Maybe a big block from the smog era or something, but not on the level of the 400+ft-lb monsters from the early 70s.

Now onto your question, the easiest way to do it would be to get a complete 5.0 powered donor car, and use the entire wiring harness and everything from that, then once the 5.0 is in there and running, you can buy a blower for a 5.0 mustang, probably modify a bunch of stuff to make it fit the bird, and then you will have a blown 5.0 SC.

The other option is to just upgrade the V6. There are people on this site laying down over 400rwhp on the stock V6 bottom end. I have a 91 cougar with a 393 stroker probably putting down close to that number, and I can tell you that on a street-driven vehicle, you really don't need any more than that. While a blown 5.0 is cool, it is also kind of overkill. Just ask Dave Neibert. He has a turbo-347 in an SC, and I remember him saying that it will melt the tires off the car if he nails the gas at 60mph!

here ya go... stempak

page 3 at the bottom of the page

$2,900 - 1998 MUSTANG COBRA SUPERCHARGED SVT Repairable front and rear collision damage. TX-18-

hopefully this was all-right to put in here

http://www.autosource.biz/Page/Photo_3.htm

something i ran across while looking for cars, seemed kinda interesting,
you be the judge

I guess you could get a v8 bird and add a vortec etc. charger. What's the difference between the v8's and the sc?

Hey thanks for the site that looks like a killer deal about the same price for a blue printed and balanced 6cyl.

>The other option is to just upgrade the V6. There are people on this site laying down over 400rwhp on the stock V6 bottom end<

I have read this to. Bought a MPX, then OD'd it 15%, took the engine up to around 5000-5200rpm's in second gear with boost over 15 psi, and RECEIVED blowby (oil shoots out dipstick), however engine runs great at all rpm's, but now idles rough, and of course oil out the dipstick hits the exhaust manifold, and gets smokey. Odd that there is NO smoke comming out the tailpipe, and A/F hangs in there at 14.64 while crusing. So now I am in for a rebuild, and better rings.

Last edited:
Ya I my rings are on the way out. And oil pressure is not stable? 118k on the clock feels down about 30% time for a rebuild aswell. Was just thinking a small block over a six. The six has plenty of hp/tq to melt the tires of and blow away most cars in stock form not to mention modding it. I would imagine a blown small block would have a hard time in the dry even with possi!:)

I would go s-ported 94/95 massaged heads cai etc. and that's about it also a hot timed chip! My car was plenty fast when it was healtier I couldn't imagine doing this and droping the gear ratio in the back! or not use a chip and hit it with a50-75hp dry shot of nos!

Last edited:
yes it seems to be a good deal - i've been trying to figure out how to get more horse, with out spending the mega bucks to get there, while i like the SC, im torn
here let me get myself flamed - smblk chev :eek: : lol

If you go small block it really isn't a sc anymore and thats why we love these cars anyway. S port 94/95, heads and cam, exhaust, keep it cool and you will have a reliable car that is a blast to drive. How much power do we really need anyway. 300-350 rwhp would be plenty in my book. What ever you do it's yours and do what you will and enjoy. To me the decision on how I wanted it setup was the hardest.

I don't have many mods on my car (barely any) and as it is right now I can be at 30mph in second, and floor it and she'll break the tires loose (this is an automatic not 5spd). If I do that from a stop I'll smoke the tires right off the rims. Speed wise she'll bury the 120mph speedo and keep pulling hard for a long time :eek:. She's sneaking into the 13's now and by the end of the summer I'm aiming for low 13's with a mild cam and some head work. Meanwhile I can hit 30mpg cruising along happily on the highway (thank god as prices have hit $1.21 cdn per litre for 91 octane, thats $4.58 for a US gallon).

How much work and how much would it cost to swap out to a 5L and so on to get the above and get the gas mileage to boot.

Frit

My car gets 12-13 if that! street(horrible) but in 4th cruise I think about 20, which I rarely ever do. Something must be off a bit?

Back