Maf Mod.

Ironsam63

Has anyone ever done the MAF mod that is on SPINNINGWHEELS-SC.com, by drilling the sampling tube all the way threw? If someone has please let me know if there was an improvement in performance. I have an 89 5 speed and a free mod would really be nice on the wallet. Thanks.

on a stock sc yes but it leans out the fuel so it feels great on a stock sc but as you step up withhp parts its a no worky thing unless you do like my adjustable one i made drill and tap a bolt hole drill out sample tube 15/32 and use bolt to adjust the air that flows thru the maf housing sample tub by restricting air via the bolt into sample tube

Modifying the MAF is not a performance enhancement on a stock SC and runs you the risk of altering your air fuel ratio in possibly a very detrimental way. This is not an advisable modification to make!

Thanks Manny and Dave. I thought it would allow a little more gas and get the RPM's up faster. So my stock injectors could not handle this, is that the problem?

Thanks Manny and Dave. I thought it would allow a little more gas and get the RPM's up faster. So my stock injectors could not handle this, is that the problem?

no ur stock injectors can handle it. but cutting out the birdge alters how the MAF sensors read the air coming in. the motor will have more air coming in than the MAF reads, therefore, your mixture leans out.

no ur stock injectors can handle it. but cutting out the birdge alters how the MAF sensors read the air coming in. the motor will have more air coming in than the MAF reads, therefore, your mixture leans out.

but dont you drill the samle tube which in turn gets more air to read.. or am i makin it to complacated

Frankly... forget-about-it!!!!

Unless you have a flow bench that can measure the entire operating range THEN plug those numbers into a tune, there will be very little gain if any, and as was hinted at, could actually cause problems.

There's also evidence that a stock car running stock injectors could be already be closing to maxing out the injectors.

Your motor, your money.... do it right the first time or not... in the end, you get what you pay for.

Frit

but cutting out the bridge alters how the MAF sensors read the air coming in. the motor will have more air coming in than the MAF reads, therefore, your mixture leans out.

I was thinking about this bridge thing a few days ago....I wonder if the maf gets a more accurate read because the air hits the bridge and then flows through the hole....Kinda like forces the the air...If you cut the bridge out then most the air just flows through without going through the hole.....It seems to make sense if cars normally run lean with the bridge cut.....

I cut one and modded it but Im sticking with my stocker for now.....Ill throw in the other at my local track one day for a few runs later.......

F1

I found that the 1995 and 1996 Thunderbird 4.6 Maf seems to measure out at 70mm..Connection are all the same...Swap yours on......Which is better then stock..55 vs 70mm..At a Junkyard these are $20-$30...Id go ahead and cut and mod your 89 and give it a shot and try it.....Check your plugs and that afterwards....But the 70mm for $20-30 seems cheap enough and is a junkyard mod...

I love Junkyard mods on everything....

F1

I found that the 1995 and 1996 Thunderbird 4.6 Maf seems to measure out at 70mm..Connection are all the same...Swap yours on......Which is better then stock..55 vs 70mm..At a Junkyard these are $20-$30...Id go ahead and cut and mod your 89 and give it a shot and try it.....Check your plugs and that afterwards....But the 70mm for $20-30 seems cheap enough and is a junkyard mod...

I love Junkyard mods on everything....

F1

Not worth it, as it only flows about 50 cfm more over the stock 55mm. I can tell you right now, with the basic mods on my car, I already out flow that 70mm. Just because it "appears" bigger doesn't mean it can flow much better.

Your plugs are not going to tell you anything unless you can start the car, hold it at a steady state then immediately shut down. You can have a very pig rich condition at 1400 RPM's on up which is cruise, but idle the car for a bit with a major lean condition and your plugs will "clean" up in a heart beat. While this maybe ok with a N/A motor, getting into forced induction no longer makes things like that ok.

Frit

You guys are all over the map on this which can be very confusing for someone who doesn't know how these parts work together. Rather than get into the details of it I can simply tell you that a stock or near stock SC doesn't need any more air than the stock MAF can deliver. Even though you don't like the look of it there is no performance enhancement by swapping it out for a bigger MAF. I have verified this on both the track and dyno.

Rather than get into the theories on what does what you can just rest assured that your car doesn't need a bigger MAF until you get into some significant mods after which point you'll need a tune anyway. Don't make your life complicated and don't bother risking blowing up your motor. An incorrect MAF is the easiest way there is to blow up your motor.

David

My 89 with stock injectors with 60k on a rebuilt had blown head gaskets in the common spots.....I bought a 70mm junkyard maf for it to replace my 55mm......When I went to swap in the one I bought...I noticed mine had already been replaced by a 70mm maf....

Back