PDA

View Full Version : Ebay New Motor?

rickbtbird
04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Anybod know anything about this New Motor Up for Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220224951598&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us) ?

nanatothesixth
04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
its been up for auction for about 1 1/2 months all together, the reserve has never been met, the last time i think the final bid was $895.00.I have bid on it a few times myself. Tom

NH89SC
04-16-2008, 09:21 PM
He didnt get to the reserve last time from what I see. Bidding stopped at $532 something. Looks new.

Flex
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I hate that when they want $1000 but start the bidding at $1. Why not just cut to the chase and have the auction start close to what you want to get out of it.

ricardoa1
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Why are the valve covers backwards.

rickbtbird
04-16-2008, 11:34 PM
I hate that when they want $1000 but start the bidding at $1. Why not just cut to the chase and have the auction start close to what you want to get out of it.

Seems it was built oct 2000. There is no warranty.

rickbtbird
04-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Why are the valve covers backwards.
Must be a lefty :D, made for Great Britain.
Maybe the water pump is on the wrong side:eek:!

superdadsc
04-16-2008, 11:45 PM
How was it built in 2000. Did Fordmake new motors for these then? Don't know Fprd policies.

rickbtbird
04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
How was it built in 2000. Did Fordmake new motors for these then? Don't know Fprd policies.

Don't kill the messenger...:). I only repeated what I was told.

superdadsc
04-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Wasn't trying too. I really no nothing in regards to ford policies. But I would think that you would be able to get one. If your motor was under it's original warranty let's say 5 years and I as a consumer would want a new motor not a reman or am I being nieve. Wouldn't be the 1st time.:eek:

grateful_carl
04-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Ebay's advance search tells us the auction ended at $510 two weeks ago and then $536 a week ago neither meeting the reserve. Are our engine really worth that little? The $1 starting bid is silly...Does anyone know his reserve?

grateful_carl
04-17-2008, 12:36 AM

How do we know it is a Ford motor? As opposed to an aftermarket?

BirdofPrey97
04-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know his reserve?

Put in a 100k bid then see if it meets reserve if it does then just recall you bid. :D

IkeyM
04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Put in a 100k bid then see if it meets reserve if it does then just recall you bid. :D

Im sure 100k would get it!! LOL!!

blue94sc
04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Im sure 100k would get it!! LOL!!

100k + shipping! :eek:

BirdofPrey97
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Put in a 10k bid and it said that 850 won it, so reserve is 850.

Want2LearnTBIRD
04-17-2008, 03:31 PM

The higher the starting price the higher the listing fee is. $1 starting bid = very small listing fee.

Flex
04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes but if you have to list it ten times instead of once, I'm sure it will be the same.

Flex
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Put in a 10k bid and it said that 850 won it, so reserve is 850.

Todd,

You have to be careful. If someone bid $9900 to screw you over, you'd be stuck with your 10k bid bro.

grateful_carl
04-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Todd,

You have to be careful. If someone bid $9900 to screw you over, you'd be stuck with your 10k bid bro.

He withdrew his bid seconds after making it there is no bid of his anymore regardless of what anyone else bids...

grateful_carl
04-17-2008, 05:46 PM
The higher the starting price the higher the listing fee is. $1 starting bid = very small listing fee.

Yes but then you either have to set a reserve (for a fee) or sell it as low as the bidding is...makes more sense to list it close or at your reserve with no reserve it is cheaper that way...

Flip
04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes but then you either have to set a reserve (for a fee) or sell it as low as the bidding is...makes more sense to list it close or at your reserve with no reserve it is cheaper that way...

I agree with you, but allot of sellers think doing a low opening price will start a small bidding competition between buyers and get a higher price. Which does work sometimes, I have done it. When something has not sold.

BirdofPrey97
04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I wish him all the luck in the world. Spent $600 on a used engine, but cant remember is that included the shipping or not. Thinking it didnt. :)

Want2LearnTBIRD
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I agree with you, but allot of sellers think doing a low opening price will start a small bidding competition between buyers and get a higher price. Which does work sometimes, I have done it. When something has not sold.

Precisely lslfjsdfjsfld

grateful_carl
04-18-2008, 10:49 AM

Not with bidding activity under $100 for an $800 item. No one n their right mind would think they could buy the engine for under say $300 or $400...

blue94sc
04-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I've been an ebayer since '97 and have seen many scenarios but only one remains the same. You will only get what the market is paying. Timing is another important factor along with market activity. I stay away from using a reserve only because if the market is indicating an item going for less than your reserve is pointless. The only ones that will be making money is eBay. Recently they have reduced their listing fees and promoted it extensively. However when you do the math and figure the new final value fees then they are actually making more money off of you. Then Paypal taks another bite. OUCH! eBay owns Paypal. Can you say double dip?
Even at $800 the engine is a good deal. Wish it was closer to me. I could use it. Plus he has good feedback which is a major plus.
Cheers!
Bill

fastsc92
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
his reserve is 850 in case anyone is wondering...he's about 15 min from my house...i might just buy it...

grateful_carl
04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I've been an ebayer since '97 and have seen many scenarios but only one remains the same. You will only get what the market is paying. Timing is another important factor along with market activity. I stay away from using a reserve only because if the market is indicating an item going for less than your reserve is pointless. The only ones that will be making money is eBay. Recently they have reduced their listing fees and promoted it extensively. However when you do the math and figure the new final value fees then they are actually making more money off of you. Then Paypal taks another bite. OUCH! eBay owns Paypal. Can you say double dip?
Even at $800 the engine is a good deal. Wish it was closer to me. I could use it. Plus he has good feedback which is a major plus.
Cheers!
Bill

All great points; ebay has lowered the cost of listing an item (so if it doesn't sell you pay less) at the expense of higher costs if it does sell. Given the market extension that comes from ebay (millions of potential buyers rather than thousands or fewer through traditional selling methods) and the fact you and anyone else selling similar items will be passing those costs to the buyer (the market price will be slightly higher due to ebay and paypal costs--but that's true for ALL ebay sellers of the same item) it makes sense and it is why ebay is so popular. My experience (about six years on ebay) is that items, like our SCs, sell higher on ebay then in our forum probably because there is much larger audience who want SCs but know nothing about this forum (typcially T-Bird enthusiasts) regardless of the ebay listing and final value fees. You can always pass on the paypal fees by taking only checks or money orders too.

rickbtbird
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
$875 with 8 minutes left (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220224951598&rd=1)

Flex
04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
$1000 for a brand new long block. That is a really good price. Especially if it is someone that will do the work themselves.

I sold a 400M out of my brother's 78 Ford pickup a few years back as I was building a nasty 460 for him. The motor was a recent rebuild so it had new bearings oil pump, timing chain, pistons etc.

I sealed all the openings and sandblasted the entire engine on my driveway to bare steel. After it was all painted and reassembled with fresh gaskets, it looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. I was asking $1500. Most off these turkeys were selling for $500-750 bucks so callers just asked why I wanted so much.

One guy actually came out to look at it from a rural town about 1 hour away. We talked on the phone and after I described it to him and he said he thought it would be perfect for his restoration of an old Bronco. His eyes bugged out of his head when he saw it but he was still skeptical about the internal condition of the cylinders. I remove a sparke plug and shined a light inside. He looked at the cross hatch and shiny piston top and before I could put the plug back in, he had the check written and was holding it out to me.

rickbtbird
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Yup good deal as long as it holds up. The only thing that kept me buying it was it was as is with no warranty.

vance720
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I appreciate you guys not bidding on this motor. I got it for $910.00
Mine gave it up on a test drive at the dyno. I will let you know. Vance720

frdlvr30
04-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I emailed the seller to see if he would have been willing to drop it off at the freight depot. He must not have been interested. I would have paid double that for it, if he would have responded...You cant hardly get a reman for 1800.00!!!!

rickbtbird
04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
From where I live I could have picked it up. I watched the bidding until it sold. I wanted to get it but I don't have any room to put it. I already have a junk motor in the garage on the stand that I'm using to practice on. If I buy one more car part for the garage the wife is going to make me build another shed..... to sleep in :D.