seat belt light stays on

ndiiorio

my seat belt light stays on all the time. the door chime works perfect as well as all other functions for the lap belt system except for the light always staying on. i know the easy thing is to unplug the bulb, but i would like to find the reason. does the light illuminate for the shoulder not being plugged in or the lap belt or both have to be plugged in? does anyone know what the wires are for the lap belt under the seat and when the lap belt is plugged in do they go to ground or read resistance?

I assume you are speaking of the "Fasten Seat Belt" Light.

If the belt does not reach the "B" Pillar or the Rear Limit Switch does not register the belt has reached the end of the track you get the light. If either shoulder belt is not connected you will get the light (the switch contacts are in series). The shouder belt comes off a swtch in the belt retractor mechanism that detects when the belt has been extended and is closed. The lap belt comes off a switch that opens when he belt is fastened.

I had this exact problem with my 89 in January. I went through the seat belt switches, and the shoulder belt limit switches with no luck. I also replaced the warning chime module. My problem was solved when I went into the trunk and disconnected the auto belt module to pin out the continuity on the wiring to the limit switches. By just disconnecting and reconnecting the module, the light and chime went away. Here's the link to my thread:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96054&highlight=seat+belt+light

...but the bottom line is that it must have been just a dirty/loose connection.

Good Luck,

JD

i dont have the chime, just the light... ill read the thread as soon as my subscription gets turned back on... i let it expire... oops

Back