won't start

JDC

Hey guys I have a 1990 SC and I am experiencing a starting problem. When I started this adventure I had a bad balancer. I replace it with a BHJ, I replaced the crank sencor,and the DIS and coil pak. I looked at the iginition switch it is ok. I also had to replace the intake gasket because it was leaking in front between the head and intake. Now that I have put everything back together I still have the same starting problem, so is there anybody familiar w/this scenario or problem??? The upshift light stays on while I am cranking it. I checked the fuel and have fuel pressure. No spark-no fire. Please help!! Before I have to take it to a shop. Oh, by the way all the connections, all the relays, the EEC everything is right. This has been a project since Oct. 07 and I am running out of ideas, so anyone who has an idea, PLEASE help. Thanks for all the info. and help in advance. Thanks, JD

The upshift light stays on while I am cranking it.

That means that the EEC isn't getting a signal from the crank sensor. I know you said you changed it but something still isn't right with it. The EEC isn't getting a crank sensor signal which is why you don't have spark.

I'm not a BHJ expert, so I can't help much, but check your wiring to the crank sensor to make sure it isn't chewed up.

Vince

The crank sensor sends out a signal. Unplug the harness and check to see that it is actually sending a signal while you crank it. If it is, I would say you have a wiring problem. You know the crank sensor is not just a bolt-on sensor, you have to center it between the ring on the balancer, right? You took the ring off the old balancer and put it on the bhj, right?

Last edited:
Sounds like something wasn't done right installing the crank sensor or the sensor trigger wheel on the backside of the balancer.

David

JD,
Do you have an after market alarm on it? If so it should have a bypass button under the dash somewhere on the drivers side. If the alarm is bad it might be cutting off your ignition. If you do have one press the button in while you try and crank it and see if that works. Mine does it every few months. Just thought of it.

I just put that part of my wiring harness back on and noticed that the longer rectangle connector next to the cam sensor...Grey wire I think had come disconnected inside the connector....Not sure what it does....But it was being pretty sneaky.Barley noticed it....I had to use a flat head screwdriver to snap it back in place which was probably a half inch inside the connection...

Also probably not connected with the problem but noticed after doing some work on my car and throwing my gut on the fender I noticed the yellow wire ontop of the solenoid was aged and brittle and my gut finally broke it off..

F1

Back