Coolant Leak...Water Pump Gasket?

BlownSix

Ok, so I decided to try to find the source of my coolant leak today. Here's the thing..I filled up the radiator (car was off) and it was steady dripping. So I crawled under the car to try to locate the source. It APPEARS to be leaking from the very bottom of the water pump where the bottom bolt is. It leaks with the car on and with the car off. Pretty steady leak, too. So, what all could it be? What would leak with the car off? The water pump gasket? I thought I read that the weep hole would only leak as the car got warm and built up pressure...?
I only have today and tomorrow to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance..

Could be stock for all I know. Thing is...I don't see a weep hole..? I hate that there is so much stuff in the way. Not having a garage is awful. The coolant is still dripping. Not as steady as it was earlier but still pretty good.

When I replaced my water pump, the coolant wouldn't leak through the weep hole when the car was off.

My guess would be the gasket.

The weep hole is on the bottom of the water pump snout behind the pulley. The weep hole can leak without the engine running. My 94 appeared to be leaking from the same area but it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket leaking water out the front and running down the front of the motor.My old 91 had a leak in the same area also and it turned out to be a leak from the timing chain cover gasket due to a badly coroded timing cover. Get a good flashlite and check from the top and bottom and pinpoint where the leak actually is ,there are a dozen places where coolant can leak. Remember water runs downhill.:D

Ugh. This is a serious pain. If I had a second vehicle it wouldn't be bugging me as bad.

But, I appreciate all the responses. Guess I'll see if I have a flashlight around and get back at it.

I know exactly what you mean. My 94 is apart as we speak for the intake manifold gasket leak. You have to take so much of the engine apart I decided to do headgaskets and head studs as well. I am also cleaning,painting or powdercoating all the parts I remove while I am at it.:cool: Our cars are very technical and high maintance machines, and if you arent into working on cars and dont have another car as a daily driver they probably arent for you. I really hope your problem is an easy fix.Good Luck . Garry

I've had the car for 3 years. I've been managing. And I'm covered in car grease as I type. I know they're high maintenance. Trust me. I actually love working on cars. They just irritate the hell outta me sometimes :cool:

My water pump leaked from the weep hole with the car on or off. It actually appeared to be an oil leak at the time because it was dripping down into the little rail on the subframe and mixing with the oil that had collected there and spilling over onto the ground.

Replacing the WP wasn't too hard. The hardest part is getting the lower IC tube out. (Sneaky little bracket back there ...)

lower ic tube?? All i did was pull the sc top and upper ic tube as one and pulled the power steering pump pulley off for the little bracket behind it then the water pump. really quick and simple, I was intimidated at first, only cause I thought I would have to pull the whole acc bracket ,alt etc off. rent a pulley puller and just pull the pulley off..

Might try and move the AC a tad..

When I yanked mine apart...I was suprised to see a leak spot behind the t chain cover to engine block area on the upper passenger side...Or might just want to check the tightness of any of the bolts on the water pump and tchain cover you can get to....Dont over tighten though....Alot of the bolts are threaded into aluminum...Too much pressure and snap.....yuck

F1

Might try and move the AC a tad..

When I yanked mine apart...I was suprised to see a leak spot behind the t chain cover to engine block area on the upper passenger side...Or might just want to check the tightness of any of the bolts on the water pump and tchain cover you can get to....Dont over tighten though....Alot of the bolts are threaded into aluminum...Too much pressure and snap.....yuck

F1

if they are all coroded that could be bad news:eek: unless you plan to remove the water pump i wouldnt touch the bolts..

My bolts were corroded....

But more like rust water mixed with silcone on the longer bolt shafts that connect the water pump tchain cover to the block...........Im thinking more of a 1/4 turn type of tightening.....

Actually just thought about another check.....When I yanked mine I noticed that the small hose behind the SC pulley had almost wore through after 60k miles....Seems as if the hose lost its shape and was just barely touching the pulley but after 60k it wore through almost to the point of bursting......

F1

lower ic tube?? All i did was pull the sc top and upper ic tube as one and pulled the power steering pump pulley off for the little bracket behind it then the water pump. really quick and simple, I was intimidated at first, only cause I thought I would have to pull the whole acc bracket ,alt etc off. rent a pulley puller and just pull the pulley off..

Hmm, I forget the exact sequence of events there. Why did I remove that thing? LOL. I did use the PS pump pulley puller (and installer), which was very helpful. Actually, I believe that it's possible to remove the steel PS pump brace without removing the pulley, but you have to have the right ratchet and really sneak it in there.

Ok, I degreased it and I can't see any other leaks...So I ordered a new water pump..now I need to know the absolute easiest way to change it and any special tools I'll need. Is it necessary to remove the IC tubes? Do I need a puller for the PS pump? Does it even need to come off? Anything else I should look at while it's apart?

ok. I just did this 6 months ago... Just go rent a power steering pump pulley puller.. take off the four bolts to the sc top , and the 2 on the upper ic..pull it off as one so you dont need a spanner wrench and it keeps it lined up perfectly and wont have to re-seal...take off belt , pull the ps pulley, take off the little bracket that goes from ps to wateerpump. once bracket is removed you take off the waterpump , replace and go backwards.... Now I read up on this little bracket thing behind the pulley and some poeple leave it off..I left mine off so Just in case i need another waterpump, you dont have to go thruogh all that crap pullin pulleys !! up to you

ps , You need to remove the upper ic tube and the ic itself.. So you can fit the pully puller down there, but no need to take off the lower ic tube..

That doesn't sound to hard. Did anyone run into any unexpected problems? I will only have one day to do this so I need to know about anything that could possibly go wrong (yeah yeah, I know...something ALWAYS goes wrong lol).
Won't the SC top need to be resealed?

Dunno...

Whats so hard with taking the accesories and plates off....Outside of the lower I/C tube bolt off the rest comes off freakin easy....Piece of cake....My guess 90 minutes.....A chance to look over your wiring harness as well as 5-10 more bolts and replace you tchain gasket and most likely the tensioner...

When I did mine the tchain was great but the tensioner was just hanging....No spring action at all......

Just my .02 cents......

F1

Back