Vacuum leaks

kenewagner

I have encounter various vacuum leaks keeping me from being up and running. After removing the blower I pressure tested just the blower and TB plenum. At only 3 lbs of pressure the screw on the TB was just blowing bubbles everwhere. Is there an O ring or seal here that seals this?:confused:

Also found the shaft on the bypass just blowing out air as well. It is a real bad leak. I had a junk TB plenum to practice on. As you can see from the picture I destroyed the straight through needle bearing getting it out. The end bearing is enclosed on the end so a small drive punch drove it out easily. Like all of eatons everywhere it has odd ball sized bearings as you see from the picture. The bright spot is there is lots of meat around the bearing when it is installed so I should be able to bore both holes out and get something that is a little more common. Also the depth is quite a bit so I might be able to find a seal that could press in to help seal around the housing if the bearing I pick doesnt have a built in seal. As you see I like to take a lot of pictures of things like this. All the years I have been playing with the car and on this forums I never have once seen pictures of the bypass shaft and its bearings. If over the years the seals dry up how many of you guys have a decent leak in this area?. Do the new MPXs have new bearings with seals in
them? Just food for thought

Ken

Attachments

• TB leak1.jpg
    TB leak1.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 85
  • By pass shaft.jpg
    By pass shaft.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 80
You dont need to be too concerned with a TB leak since it will only encounter vac under boost. Uness it leaks past what the IAC can control.
TB leaks are mainly important on turbo application. where the TB will be charged with pressure,.

Agree with Ricardo Ken, there should never be any negative pressure on the inlet side of the blower so minor leaks shouldn't have a major effect.

Ricardo, where did you get that hood by the way?

Agree with Ricardo Ken, there should never be any negative pressure on the inlet side of the blower so minor leaks shouldn't have a major effect.

Ricardo, where did you get that hood by the way?

Which one, They are both custom made. One is steel and the otherone is fiberglass.

I didn't realize that there were two different hoods. Do both look the same? Who made them and was the cost for each?

The Steel one is made with a steel 84 SVO scoop welded and smothed.

The other is a Fiberglass VFN with a sacrificed 00' Cobra R heat extractors from another hood.

Cost....I dont remember, But I got about $700 on the fiberglass so far, still needs paint.

Attachments

• Springs 048.jpg
    Springs 048.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 55
Back