No spark or fuel

Scott Long

Swapped in a known good IRCM and still have no spark or fuel pump control.

I have hotwired the fuel pump and have fuel, but when I crank it, there is no spark at all.

In August of 07 the car received new: cam sensor, crank sensor, DIS module, coil pack, plugs, wires. It ran very good. Then it died at the shootout and has been parked since. I thought it was the pump at first so I put in a brand new 255 lph pump I got from Super Coupe Performance. Still wouldn't run when the key is on (replaced relay under hood and in trunk). It now has 10 ga. wire and a 50 amp rocker switch to run the fuel pump nascar style and it the pump runs.

Car cranks but has no spark.

I have a spare EEC to try out but I'm thinking it's not the problem.

Any ideas? Think the crank sensor could be dead? But that wouldn't kill the fuel pump and spark, just spark right? I want this SC going for the meet in 2 weeks.

Thinking more here of if the IRCM you put in is really good...does the EEC have power? If you can read codes it does and it eliminates one possible reason for your problem.

the ignition switch was changed last march, and now the battery is dead so I can't check for codes.

I took the kick panel off and the glovebox but I can't find the EEC box, is it up behind the carpet?

its up under the side kick panel on pass side tucked up there. Did you check the fuses? or eec relay?

I can try changing the EEC relay, if I recall it's not in the box with the rest of the underhood relays. Where is it located?

All I saw in the kick panel and next to the dash was a ton of wiring that looks like it was added as part of the alarm on my car. I couldn't find the EEC. I'll look again tomorrow when I go back to where my car is at.

The relay is located in the high current fuse box under the hood according to the Ford manual I have.:D

bad alarm will kill spark and fuel. as it kills them to keep it from geting stolden. check the fuses for the alarm usaly under dash by stering column. find the alarm brain and go from there. seen it happen more than you whould think. may have to take it to who installed the alarm.

bad alarm will kill spark and fuel. as it kills them to keep it from geting stolden. check the fuses for the alarm usaly under dash by stering column. find the alarm brain and go from there. seen it happen more than you whould think. may have to take it to who installed the alarm.

Great Call....I feel a winner here....

Makes alot of sense...Lots of times a big footed passenger can accidently kick a wire a cause problems...My ZX2 suffers from this..Anybody with size 11-13 shoes seems to kick my blower motor connection and it cuts out....

Alarm system sounds like the problem for sure....Great call

F1

Great Call....I feel a winner here....

Makes alot of sense...Lots of times a big footed passenger can accidently kick a wire a cause problems...My ZX2 suffers from this..Anybody with size 11-13 shoes seems to kick my blower motor connection and it cuts out....

Alarm system sounds like the problem for sure....Great call

F1
just seen it happen too many times. bad fuse, brain, or loose conection. worked in body, stero, and repair shops. happend in all 3 serval times.;) thanks f1focco

Last edited:
The alarm is a HellFire brand. It was installed many moons ago probably by the first owner. I've removed the siren under the hood because it was weak and I never activate it. I have one remote for it, but the only time I need to do anything to it is when I disconnect the battery. The lights will flash and I have to use the remote to disarm it and then it's fine until the battery is removed again. Or I can use it as a keyless entry system and to pop the trunk which I have the lock shaved. But I rarely use it because it's a pos.

I will take some pics of the mess of wiring I'm talking about. I have found a relay behind the glove box that is in a bundle of wires that I don't know what it is for. Also below the steering column there are 3 more relays that are bundled up as well that I haven't seen in my other SC.

If this is all because of the alarm I'm going to be highly upset. I've been looking for the brain of this thing for years to just get rid of it.

I don't think it cuts the ignition because I have started the car before with the alarm going off and it just looks like I'm driving with my 4-way flashers going. I don't think it has ignition cut built into it. It's old probably circa 91 or so.

Where is the EEC located???

EEC is in the kick panel of the passenger side floor. If you open the glove box all the way (squeeze the sides and let it flop down) you'll see it on the right.

When I found the remains of an alarm system in my 90 (got a radar detector, and it would go solid K band when in this car) I found some parts of it under the center console. The rest was behind the dash panel, in a space that is below the headlight switch. Thankfully most of the connections were with 3m type tap connectors so it came back apart easy.

I would guess any alarm that will hinder starting may be spliced into the EEC-IV wire that signals the IRCM to dump 12v to all the sensors, including ignition.

Well the alarm brain was in the hole in the kick panel behind all the wiring I found. I have yet to disconnect it though because I don't know if I unplug the brain if it will be a clean kill or if it will cause other things to not function. I can't find any info online about hellfire alarms.

I found the EEC up on the side of the glovebox but I can't get it down. I did however unplug it so I can plug my new one in and at least see if the car will run.

My battery is at the local Auto Zone charging right now because it's been completely dead for months.

I really don't think this alarm has starter interrupt because I recall starting the engine before not realizing the alarm was engaged and all it did was flash my parking lights at me and signal the siren which I removed years ago.

Here's some pics I took of the wiring, does any of this look factory?

I have a puddle of water in the channel along the passenger floor, guess I'll have to drill a small hole to let it drain out. The rockers are bad on this car anyhow, and if I get it running again I will save up to get new ones welded in and the car repainted. If not, I will probably pull the motor and trans and scrap the car.

Attachments

• DSCN0744.JPG
    DSCN0744.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0745.JPG
    DSCN0745.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0746.JPG
    DSCN0746.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0747.JPG
    DSCN0747.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Few more pics you can see the alarm brain.

The relay behind the glove box I see is tapped into the trunk release so I know now that it's to remotely pop the trunk.

Attachments

• DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0751.JPG
    DSCN0751.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 80
Duffy, when I hook up my code reader it gives me a constant beep when I have the key off, as soon as I turn the key on, it goes quiet, but it never gives me any codes. This would mean my EEC isn't getting power correct?

I looked under the fuse box near the battery but all it has is the horn relay, the EEC Relay has a * by it that says "except super coupe" so I don't know where the relay is for the EEC.

The only relay I hear under the hood is the one for the ABS motor when it runs when I first turn the key on.

I put the new EEC in, and nothing.

I'm almost sure that the security system has an interrupt. typical. Unplug the alarm and see what, if anything changes. Trace each wire coming out of it and look for any that cut stock wires thus interrupting them rather than tapping into them. Often they can just tap, as they will either apply 12v to the line or pull the line to ground.
eec relay on a 93 is in the Power Distribution box located on the left hand side of the engine compartment. This would be just behind the battery. If you pull the cover off, it has a legend there that tells you which one is what. The fuse is there too. (fuse G)

Mine's a 90 and it's not in the power distribution box.

All the connections I could see were the red snap-tap connectors not interrupts. I unhooked the alarm brain and completely removed it but all the wiring is still intact.

I'd like to find out how to get power to the EEC and then I can see if I get spark.

A new problem now is that when I flip my fuel pump switch it won't run. I don't know why because I know it's connected at the battery and the switch.

Also my front passenger side tire is flat to the point where I can't pump it up with a compressor, and the car is sitting nose down in some mud/grass so I don't know how I could get a jack under it (also lowered too) so I can get the wheel off and inflate the tire to pop the bead back up or see if this tire is cut. The tire is the least of my concerns right now.

Did your dog get run over as well?;)

I'll go out and take a picture of my... uh, my son's 90 and the EEC relay/fuse.

I don't really think this alarm is that sophisticated that it would prevent the car from running. I've never in 7 years had a problem with it.

The car was running very strong at the dyno day at last years shootout. I was messing around with one of the guys on the way back to the hotel and we were about to race and when we both dropped the hammer my car pulled good for a few seconds and then just died. I put it in N and coasted to a stop, tried to restart it but nothing. I didn't hear the fuel pump running.

Walked back to the hotel, got Dan Sly, Dennis and Jr., and Tim to come with me to get it on Dan's trailer and tow it to the Air Force Base where it's still sitting. The weekend after the shootout I put a new fuel pump relay in it, and that didn't work. I got it up on a lift and cut off the exhaust and used a big pneumatic engine hoist to lower the tank down. I drove down to Cincy and got a 255 lph pump from Bill E. I put the pump in, put the tank back up, and turned the key, no fuel pump. So I got a 50 amp switch, some 10 ga. wire, and ran a hot wire from the battery to the switch, and then to the pump. I could flip the switch and hear the pump run. I cranked it and it wouldn't run. Pulled off a wire and cranked it and saw no spark.

Pushed the car back outside and it's sat since then. I went out to it in November and put a new IRCM in it, and it wouldn't start. Today I put in the new EEC and still nothing.

I don't know what failed while I was driving it that day at the shootout but it just up and died.

I hate this car, but I want to get it running again so I can try to get it to the spring meet in 2 weeks. Otherwise this summer I may rip the motor and trans out. I'd rather get it running though.

Back