rear bearings for blower and snout rebuild kit

mywhite89

I've found a few sellers on ebay that list the snout rebuild kit for our cars. I need this and I also need to replace the 2 pressed in bearings on the back side of the blower.

Also, where to you buy that high speed blue bearing grease at?

Chris

P.S. Dissapointing that I have 3,000 miles on my MPII blower and it has 1 completely junk rear bearing and I am hearing a little noise out of the a bearing in the snout also. Is there something I could have done wrong when putting in the coated rotors? Everything went in just fine and worked fine for almost 3,000 miles as far as I know. I didn't add any grease to the rear bearings, but not a lot of grease has been on any of the bearings on the rear that I've disassembled so I didn't see any reason for concern when I took this one apart

Would magnum powers have replaced these bearings and seals when they did their MPII or whatever porting package to these things? Seems really odd that bearings are already failing, unless these pieces just cannot handle much over stock overdrive on the blower. Any input to add on that?

Chris

Last edited:
I've found a few sellers on ebay that list the snout rebuild kit for our cars. I need this and I also need to replace the 2 pressed in bearings on the back side of the blower.

Also, where to you buy that high speed blue bearing grease at?

Chris

P.S. Dissapointing that I have 3,000 miles on my MPII blower and it has 1 completely junk rear bearing and I am hearing a little noise out of the a bearing in the snout also. Is there something I could have done wrong when putting in the coated rotors? Everything went in just fine and worked fine for almost 3,000 miles as far as I know. I didn't add any grease to the rear bearings, but not a lot of grease has been on any of the bearings on the rear that I've disassembled so I didn't see any reason for concern when I took this one apart

Would magnum powers have replaced these bearings and seals when they did their MPII or whatever porting package to these things? Seems really odd that bearings are already failing, unless these pieces just cannot handle much over stock overdrive on the blower. Any input to add on that?

Chris

I'll add a little imput. I dont know if it applies to your problem. When the rotor shafts are pressed into the gears in the front they have to be in time with each other. If they are out of time even a little bit the rotors will make contact and I can assure you that is a major problem. I switched out the bearings on my old M90 and installed teflon rotors. I didnt have it timed dead on and after awhile it beat the rotors to death and junked out blower. Is that a problem with yours I cant say but it is another reason why a blower fails. Everyone assumes that installing teflon rotors is a great thing but unless it was done professionally it is suspect to me. Just a thought. Even a professional with the proper equipment can make a mistake. Just my 2 cents

Ken

I'll add a little imput. I dont know if it applies to your problem. When the rotor shafts are pressed into the gears in the front they have to be in time with each other. If they are out of time even a little bit the rotors will make contact and I can assure you that is a major problem. I switched out the bearings on my old M90 and installed teflon rotors. I didnt have it timed dead on and after awhile it beat the rotors to death and junked out blower. Is that a problem with yours I cant say but it is another reason why a blower fails. Everyone assumes that installing teflon rotors is a great thing but unless it was done professionally it is suspect to me. Just a thought. Even a professional with the proper equipment can make a mistake. Just my 2 cents

Ken

:confused:......How can the rotors get "out of time" when all you're doing is swapping rotor packs? I can understand if you removed the rotors off of the shafts and replaced them but just installing a new pack should be a plug and play, correct?

If you are doing GTP rotors its not plug and play though. You need to do new dowls in the correct place.
I dont think that this supercharger was taken apart to the extent of removing the rotors of the rotor plate. He seems to have issues with the rear bearings and if those fails, the rotors are not out of time but can have them collide with each other or the case itself. And replacing just the bearing will not fix the added clearences from the damage and the sc will perform poorly.

:confused:......How can the rotors get "out of time" when all you're doing is swapping rotor packs? I can understand if you removed the rotors off of the shafts and replaced them but just installing a new pack should be a plug and play, correct?

A rotor pack is assembled at some time in its life. There is always a chance of error. Nothing is 100% perfect. That is a possibility, although fairly unlikely. There is also the possibility that a rotor pack is assembled by a vender wanting to sell teflon coated rotors. Or even a club member who has more confidence in himself than ability, we all know people like that. Chris was looking for other possibilites, and I gave one. The rotors do not have a spline on them that guarantees 100% accuracy. They are just a interference pressed fit. And we are talking only a few thousands of an inch clearances in these blowers. Other than that yes they are just a replacement fit with the exception of the dowels

Ken

If you are doing GTP rotors its not plug and play though. You need to do new dowls in the correct place.
I dont think that this supercharger was taken apart to the extent of removing the rotors of the rotor plate. He seems to have issues with the rear bearings and if those fails, the rotors are not out of time but can have them collide with each other or the case itself. And replacing just the bearing will not fix the added clearences from the damage and the sc will perform poorly.

I keep seeing this kind of thing over and over on the forums. Most of these superchargers are on cars with 150,000 miles on them. Why would there all of a sudden be cars with superchargers that need rebuilding after 3 or 10 thousand miles on them:confused: Why would the rear bearings fail unless they were not rated at the speed that the supercharger is spinning at. The new MPX case has bigger bearings same as my M112. Im sure they are needed for the increase speed the rotors are turning with everyone overdriving these blowers so much. I would be asking the same questions Chris is asking if it was my blower. Maybe the newest mod should be boring out the case and installing big bearings on older blowers

Ken

Last edited:

You are right. I didn't press the gears off, just replaced the whole pack. I beleive my problem started because the bearing fails on the back side. I did notice on the back side of the rotors they were hitting because the coating had fallen off, though I would anticipate this with how my bearing failed. That thing had fallen apart, lucky it looks like all the pins were still inside the carrier so not motor damage. If I would have had to press the gears off, I would have had a shop do it for me.

Last edited:
I removed these rotors directly out of a fully operational park avenue supercharger with 60,000 miles on it so rotors were not the problem. They looked good. kenne, I understand what you mean though. I could see misaligned rotors causing bearing failure, but I think my problem started the other way around. I think magnum powers never replaced these bearings to be honest. Shouldn't be hearing noise yet.

Are there stock replacement bearings that are not made to perform like upgraded "high speed" bearings that I see advertised? Maybe they put new, cheap ones in. The faster you spin these the harder it is on the bearings.

Chris

Last edited:
When MP did my 94 blower port it was his recomendation to replace one of the bearing since it looked worn. I only replaced one at the time, I did not know any better. From my experience it was my option to replace them so it could be that they were not replaced at all. Unless you have a New MPII, III or X those I think got the bigger bearing that Ken is talking about. The ones that only MP Knows where to find.

yeah, those were a pain in the butt to change out too. I had to replace a dowel. I wouldn't think that would affect anything though.

If you had an early model blower converted to a MP2 then they cut off the rear of the case and expoxied a new section on to it. Should of had new bearings installed, I'd contact Charles since you didn't have many miles on the blower.

When MP did my 94 blower port it was his recomendation to replace one of the bearing since it looked worn. I only replaced one at the time, I did not know any better. From my experience it was my option to replace them so it could be that they were not replaced at all. Unless you have a New MPII, III or X those I think got the bigger bearing that Ken is talking about. The ones that only MP Knows where to find.

Well I know where to get them now. I have two pair coming in the next few days.

Ken

what bigger bearing? you mean the rear bearingson the m112 jag blowwer?

because all the m90s m45s m65s have the same bearings the mpii/mpiii/mpx all have the same bearings I have 2 mpii's here 1 mpiii and a mpx and 4 early m90s two late model m90s to compare and tey are all the same .

I heard the jag m112 had bigger bearings but they cross reference at the local bearing company

:eek::confused::(:eek: I hope they are not the same at the rate some want to spin these things.

I am sure Ken will have more info on this then me.

Back