Codes, codes, codes......

95CaliSC

Well, I have had the CEL flash a couple times under WOT at higher speeds around 70mph. So, I finally decided to pull the codes stored and I got 565, 158, 214.
565 appears to be purge cannister solenoid failure, whatever that is. 158 is MAF failure ,high voltage and 214 is cylinder recognition failure. The first code I have no clue what that is. Last two would seem to make some sense with readings under WOT. Anyone have some ideas as to what I should look to fix? New MAF? or a cleaning? Little unsure where to start. Thanks in advance for replies.

Justin

A little additional info. Car is a 95' auto with a 90 degree bend CAI into the fender. Any suggestions on where to start would be very helpful.

...you noted these as 'codes stored'. Let's start there...

There are three basic groups of codes.

O=Key On Engine Off (KOEO) (codes with engine off)
C=Continuous Memory (codes stored when engine was running)
R=Engine Running (codes produced as engine is running)

In your case, 158 & 214 are stored codes, but 565 is not.

• 158 'O,C':
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor above maximum voltage
  • 214 'C':
    Distributorless Ignition System (DIS) cylinder identification circuit failure
  • 565 'O':
    Canister Purge circuit failure

Pulling codes is one part of an overall process that involves working through a troubleshooting flow. It is never as simple as finding a code and replacing a part.

>I have had the CEL flash a couple times under WOT at higher speeds around 70mph

That's it? No other issues? If not, I'd approach it this way.

158: Disassemble the CAI as required and inspect the MAF interior to see if it is clean and intact - tidy it up as needed. Pull the wiring connector, inspect it - spray it with WD-40, apply a thin coating of dielectric compound to the contacts and put it back on, confirming it fits properly. Take a moment to do a general inspection of the wiring in this area.

214: This can be anything from a failing DIS, cam positioning sensor to (and/or) bad connections/grounds. Again, check connections (DIS & cam positioning sensor) and be prepared to chase this one further.

565: When you fill up the car, do you top off? How many clicks? If you have a habit of topping off with more than a click or two, you may risk flooding the vapor canister. If you don't have such a habit, you may want to pull the purge solenoid and check that the hoses are intact and the wiring and the solenoid are both healthy.

If their are no problems in that area, then you may have one overall issue that is simply looking like three...poor wiring. Is your '95 SC low mileage and in nice condition, no rust, or has it seen better days...?

If you manage to check as suggested, take care to first clear the two stored codes (process may vary depending on your reader), and then see how the car performs.

Ken

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. My 95' has 102k original miles and no rust. It is in very good overall shape but not sure about wiring. A few things I have noticed in the car seem to tell me it was fooled with at some point or other but all looks pretty much stock now. The wiring to the IAC is hacked and patched as is the wiring to the TB. It was only a two owner car so I am assuming the later fooled with it somehow and put it back stock before selling it. Overall it runs great,very strong. It does idle a lil' low but not sure what problem that is. Never in danger of stalling just idles lil low. Gets up to 22-3 Hg vacuum and up to 12-3 lbs of boost under WOT. I am assuming it has no vacuum leak but perhaps vacuum should be higher?

Anyways, I will pull check MAF and hope for the best. Also, if the car has a flooded vapor cannister would it need replaced or will it correct itself over time? Thanks again for your helpful responses.

Justin:)

if the car has a flooded vapor cannister would it need replaced or will it correct itself over time?

The issue isn't being flooded so much, but what if anything suffered as a result. If the code doesn't go away, you'll have to dig into it either way. Maybe there isn't any charcoal left...

As far as canister replacement, to my knowledge, people only toss in a new one (if they can find it), when required to so so by emissions testing/certification.

Was it flooded once or dozens of times? Was it in bad shape before you got the car and time has simply made things worse? Is it even still there? All rhetorical questions that mean you are the one on scene and until you lay your hands on the components in question, there isn't much to do but speculate.

Back