Need stock flywheel thickness

Thickness isn't the critical measure. Instead you want to measure what the distance is from the back of the motor to the front of the wear surface on the flywheel. Do this before you take it off. Then make up that difference after it is machined with a shim on the slave.

heres the deal

flywheel is off the car and has been cut at least twice, I want to compare stock thickness to what I have now to make up a shim.
So anyone that has the stock specs let me know

ok......

so whats the conclusion??? guess with a shim or go buy a spec and say XXXX XX

Last edited by a moderator:
if all else fails, I recently had my flywheel surfaced and they removed .006, I have heard others at around .008, one more time and you should be good with about .020

Another avenue is to see what thickness a spec is, it should be the same as the oem and the specs are probably easier to obtain.

Order a new one at a local parts store when it comes in...Mic the thickness and tell the guy its the wrong one....Ship it back...

Rocco

Brian, sorry I meant to get the specs for you yesterday, I think they are in the manual but I forgot and right now I'm at work and don't have access.

I'll try to remember again tonight.

I just checked the one in my shop.....

I am getting .998 thickness, but that is the thickness measured with a 1" micrometer.....

I hope this gives you what you are looking for.....

double check that.....

So which is it .998(25.34mm) or .965(24.5mm)? Least you guys are close the ford dealer told me 1.778mm thick new!hahah

I guess it all comes down to what Dave D. said.....

The TRUE measurement can only be obtained with the flywheel bolted to the end of the crank.....

The "thickness", measured from the surface of the flywheel to the back side of the flywheel, cannot be used for measuring your throw out bearing shims.....

I was wondering the same thing. Could it be a difference between the early year and later year flywheels? They do use different size clutches, 10.5" vs 11". Perhaps we should be measuring from the bottom of the crank bolt holes to the surface. The back side of the flywheel where I was measuring was a machined surface but are all flywheels the same in that respect. I'll bring my micrometer home from work tonight and make a couple more measurements.

I was thinking the same thing.....

The most accurate measurement you could take would be a depth measurement from the clutch surface of the flywheel down to the back side of the bolt pattern.....

The back side of these flywheels are machined, but I don't think it's for a tolerance or specific thickness.....

Well, durn it I forgot the mic so I laid a metal straight edge across the back of the flywheel and a .6mm feeler would just slip under beside the bolt holes in the center. So, 24.5 - .6 = 23.9 mm from the front surface. It could actually be anywhere from 23.85 to 23.95 seeing as I'm not using ultra precision stuff here. I double checked the front for flatness and it is. It better be! I think that's about as close as I can measure this one. Is it possible that the manufacturing tolerance isn't that tight and every flywheel is machined slightly different?

getting interesting

Im getting a dial indicator tonite to make some measurements from the flywheel to center and to back of block.

Then make up that difference after it is machined with a shim on the slave.

I've heard "shim the slave clyinder" multiply times, but I have never seen a shim made for the slave cylinders. Does this exist or is it just a theory to shim it. Anyone done it?

I've shimmed the slave many times. I made my own shims.

When I measured the flywheel bolted to the crank I was only making comparative measurements. I had a non-turned flywheel that I used for reference and compared that to my McLeod unit. I found .100" difference between the two. That was several years ago and I have not re-checked anything. The setup still works perfect today. I'm not sure about the effectiveness of shimming the slave cylinder because I'm not sure how much leeway the slave has to adjust for depth. I just did it because I didn't want to take any chances and it has worked well for me.

I don't think there is any real difference between an 89 and 95 flywheel. The carry the same part number (even though the bolts are different thread).

Back