Timing issues...Dunno...Hope So...Yuck

f1rocco

Replaced my headgaskets...Timing chain and cam.Tensioner...Pushrods..Taylor wires and Platnium Autolite 103z @.050 gap..Not the plugs I wanted but the parts guy had me so mad I had to just walk away..Then I noticed they were not the ideal 103z..Length wise they are ok...Not long enough to punch the piston...

**Edit**Also put in new 36lb Venom injectors out of a Mustang..Fit in and clipped on fine..

Started her up today and had to shut her off....I know Im probably off with
the timing with the cam sensor but it starts and drives..15lbs of vacuum...8lbs of boost at 3k rpms....But every 3 seconds at idle I hear a "Taakkaa"..Its not a rod knock...But its hard enough to shake the whole motor....My guess is somethings wrong with the timing or timing gears or its firing on 4 cylinders every few rotations...Almost sounds like gears not meshing...Could be the S/C...I Replaced the seal....Kinda loud with the exhaust to pin point the sound

With the cam...I know the cam washer is on...The plate is on...The spacer and the gear...I torque the nut down hard enough to move the car in gear a foot or two....I actually wanted to double check it but remembered after the timing cover was on....

I have two exhaust leaks I havent welded yet...I cut the exhaust...At least one vacuum line off...The plastic tube one off of the i/c tube behind the the throttle body.......The super charger doesnt have any fluid....And I couldnt get off the purge thing for the antifreeze off the thermostat...It wants to twist the whole pipe....

I started it up to pull her over to the garage to put it up on ramps and to get a funnel and weld my exhaust back up...Put S/C fluid in and fill up the power steering......

Dunno

F1

Last edited:
Well so far I know or believe my plug wires are out of order......

I thought the manual showed...The coil connector facing the firewall

But after looking here it appears

My books say...

Engine:
(rear)
3 | 6
2 | 5
1 | 4

Coil (connector to rear):

(1) (2) (3) <--- these all thread left, to the passenger side
(5) (6) (4) ---> these all thread right, to the driver's side

Firing order: 1-4-2-5-3-6

Yup....

Im hoping this terrible skip-N-crunch noise is common with just the two plug wires off...Somebody please tell me so.....Even though after doing all this work it wouldnt be all that bad to rip it back down...For some reason....I almost wanna....I must be crazy...

Thanks

F1

Yup....

Im hoping this terrible skip-N-crunch noise is common with just the two plug wires off...Somebody please tell me so.....Even though after doing all this work it wouldnt be all that bad to rip it back down...For some reason....I almost wanna....I must be crazy...

Thanks

F1

The plug wires being wrong or the vacuum leak could cause the type noise and miss your describing. Here is a diagram with correct plug wire order.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

David

I was two seconds away from filling the S/C....

But did the power steering first....Fluid all over my new Blue Taylor plug wires and freshly painted Ford Blue motor...Yuck...

I knew I had to get a funnel but it was a 1/4 mile walk to the barn...So I packed up my stuff said goodbye to the horses and cattle and drove off to the Barn...

Tomorrow....

Fluids and plug check(just incase I broke one putting the manifolds and I/C tube on...Plug wire check as well(correct firing order)...Fix the vacuum connection..

Thanks

F1

Yippppppeeeee

I fixed the one vacuum leak and switched the plug wires to the correct order and not what the Haynes manual says.....She purrrs like a kitten.....Phheww
I started to doubt my abilities for a second....So far so good....Have her all done by this weekend...

Thanks

F1

Back