purge cannister solenoid failure questions

MadCow

Hello all, ok i was reading one of the other post about the purge cannister solenoid failure code. My 89 Cougar XR7 is giving me this code, my questions are...

Where is the location of the purge cannister solenoid and If there is a problem with it, would that prevent the car from starting?

Before the winter I took it out for one last ride before going into storage. I pulled into my driveway shut it off and about 10 minutes later I went to start it again, and nothing, has not started since.

I am getting spark, I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump is working good. I have the ford factory manual but i have yet to find anything about the purge cannister solenoid. So any help would be greatly appreciated, the nice weather is here and my baby wants to come out and play lol.

I took these photos this winter while I had the front facia area disassembled for detailing. I believe this to be the purge canister, and the related solenoid. The location of these components is on the outboard side of the RH bumper support rail, ahead of the tire location in the crumple zone area.

In photo 1, the canister is obviously the rectangular black plastic box mounted above the power steering cooler. In photo 2, the solenoid is the black cylinder in the foreground with the gold irridate ends protruding. It has a hose connection on one end, and an electrical connector on the other.

Hope this helps,

JD

Attachments

• purge canister 1.jpg
    purge canister 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 150
  • purge canister 2.jpg
    purge canister 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 132
Thankyou so much for those pics, made my life alot easier. I located it, now i just have to try and get it out and find a replacement part. Hopefully that is what is preventing my car from starting.

Does anyone know of any good online stores where i could buy the canister purge valve solenoid for my cat? I checked with the ford dealership here and they want $250 for it, just trying to find a better price.

Also can anyone confirm that that with this not working properly, will it prevent my car from starting?, It tries to go but just won't. That was the only code i was getting from the car.

mine was gone all to gether (canster and solenoid) sill ran fine. the previs owner removed it to fit the CAI down there:rolleyes: autozone has the solenoid for $25 and i got the canster off my parts car. So i don't think that is your starting problem.

Now that's hard core....no wonder it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

David

I'm going to detail the whole chassis when I get my hoist installed this summer. Quite insane, but it looks cool when it's finished...

I had the purge solenoid code, changed it and still throws the code. its not stopping your car from running...

Back