Torque converter help ASAP

tydlwavs

What do you make of the attached pictures? Wrong TC? Was it not back all the way when the engine was installed?

Very odd to me to see imprint of the flexplate bolts in the TC.

Thanks,
Todd

Last edited:
well, motor had to get put in. That's done now. I'll have to pull the trans and find another one....yippy!

mine had those same impressions after i chewed the insides and twisted the input shaft in 2 at 35mph :rolleyes: check the teath on the trany shaft and pump shaft

trans looks ok, teeth were bad at all, no marks. It looks like the trans pump is fairly newly installed....either way I guess I'll drop the trans when the motor is back together.

Any recommendations for a TC. I also need advice about stall speed in these cars. I'm running a 95 engine in my 90, bolt on's and a 3:73 rear.

Any advice is helpful. Everything mechanically on this car is turning out to be junk...starting in front and work my way back.

Thanks,
Todd

Last edited:
Looks like that thing was revved a little high.

Todd, I'd talk to Alan (Dirtyd0g) about what TC would best suit your car. The guy really knows his stuff.

-Rod

Never seen it before....

Looks like to me someone didnt like the chevy orange and painted the tc and put it in wet....Then they moved the tc or motor to line the bolts to the flex plate......Looks like wet paint and chipping to me.....

F1

I would agree about the paint, but when you look at the outside of the bolt marks you don't see an indentation. That leads me to believe in may have ballooned out a bit in the center, but the outter edge didn't move out as much.

I was kinda suprised to see blue, perhaps the trans was rebuild and the tc wasn't checked? Not sure...this was a car that a couple people had and didn't touch before I bought it.

Either way I'll be dropping the trans, doing a tc and probably dropping the pan to check for metal shavings.

Good times.

How was the snout on the other side of the T/c...Any wear from the pump......You can always take the tc to a shop and have them test it or mod it to a stall if ya want......If you dont trust it might as well ditch it though...

I had a new 2800 stall in my bronco...The tranny shop said it caused my new rebuilt from them to blow up.....I doubt that but didnt use the t/c though....If they were telling the truth Id be an idiot to use it...

Good luck

J

the other side of the tc looked fine. No gouges or wear marks. It was clean. Maybe I got lucky and just the tc is messed up.

The car had blown head gaskets and a spun rod bearing (or two). I scrapped the shortblock. I had three here at the time.

That converter is ballooned. Very common for an aod. It usually doesn't hurt them a whole lot. When they get bad enough they leak where the bolts are hitting or they drop the thrust spacer out and get destroyed inside. It takes alot to make one of them noisy. The common complaint when they get ballooned is a chingy-changy noise as you get on and off the throttle. Usually only noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears.
A billet 9.5 inch converter would fix all of the issues.
Alan

Alan, you have a converter listed on your website that seems to be a standard size, but a slight upgrade for performance and longevity. Would that be a good replacement? I need to order this asap.

Thanks,
Todd

Back